Finegold, Las Vegas 2009
|Full name||Benjamin Finegold|
|FIDE rating||2476 (September 2019)|
|Peak rating||2591 (2009)|
Finegold was born into a Jewish chess family, the son of chess master Ron Finegold and his wife Rita. He became a USCF master at the age of 14, life master at 15, senior master at 16, international master at 20, and grandmaster at 40.
Finegold tied for first place in the 1994 (Chicago, Illinois) and 2007 (Cherry Hill, New Jersey) U.S. Open Chess Championships. He tied for first (and achieved a grandmaster norm) in the 2002 World Open (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), and also tied for first in the 2005 and 2008 National Open Chess Championships (Las Vegas, Nevada). He was ranked as one of the top 40 players in the United States on the August 2013 USCF rating list. Finegold has played in nine U.S. Chess Championships: 1994 (Key West, Florida), 1999 (Salt Lake City, Utah), 2002 (Seattle, Washington), 2005 (La Jolla, California), 2006 (San Diego, California), 2008 (Tulsa, Oklahoma), 2010 (Saint Louis, Missouri), 2011 (Saint Louis, Missouri), and 2013 (Saint Louis, Missouri).
In September 2009, he finally earned the grandmaster title. He was the grandmaster-in-residence of the Saint Louis Chess Club (formerly the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis) until August 14, 2012, where he filmed a number of chess YouTube videos.
He has been a live commentator at the US Chess Championship, U.S. Junior Chess Championship and Sinquefield Cup, and he frequently gave lively and often humorous instructional lectures at the Saint Louis Chess Club. Finegold's lectures are available on the YouTube channels of the Saint Louis Chess Club as well as the channel of the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Atlanta, which he co-founded.
- "Benoni, Benko Gambit, Nimzo Indian - GM Ben Finegold - 2014.01.26". YouTube.com. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Opening Traps and Loose Pieces with GM Ben Finegold". Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- "The 40-Year-Old GM", by Ben Finegold, Chess Life, February 2010, pp. 18–25.
- Ben Finegold rating card at FIDE
- Ben Finegold player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Lectures with GM Ben Finegold at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Atlanta YouTube channel
- Lectures with GM Ben Finegold at the Saint Louis Chess Club YouTube channel
- The 40-Year-Old GM
- Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Atlanta