||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
|Full name||Ben James Greenhalgh|
|Date of birth||16 April 1992|
|Place of birth||Orpington, England|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2013–2014||Inverness Caledonian Thistle||6||(0)|
|2014||→ Stenhousemuir (loan)||6||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 02:02, 4 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Ben James Greenhalgh (born 16 April 1992) is an English footballer who plays for Maidstone United as a midfielder or striker. He is noted for winning the football reality show Football's Next Star, where he won a contract at Italian giants Inter Milan.
Football's Next Star
Greenhalgh, from Orpington, who played for the Welling United youth team, was featured in the Sky One show Football's Next Star and impressed judges in the trial game after laying on a perfect cross for Hicham Abdellah to head home. At the end of the opening episode, the judges presented the Inter Milan shirt to ten players who would travel to Italy to compete for their dream of a professional contract in later episodes. After 20,000 entries to the show and 8 episodes, Greenhalgh was given the shirt and revealed as the winner of Football's Next Star 2010, receiving a professional 6-month contract with Inter Milan.
Back in the United Kingdom
After his 6-month professional contract at Inter Milan came to an end, Greenhalgh was offered another year from the Italian giants which included a 4-month loan spell to Calcio Como, where he scored 8 goals from 12 games. After his contract was up, he returned to the UK and spent time at Brighton and Hove Albion, as well as a spell at Birmingham City, where he was advised to play first team football in the Conference to gain experience in the English game. He signed for non-league club Welling United in December, before later joining Ebbsfleet United and Maidstone United.
In June 2013 he transferred to Scottish club Inverness Caledonian Thistle. This was due to happen in February 2013, however international clearance stopped Greenhalgh from leaving England until the 2013–14 season.
- [dead link]
- "Welling teenager Ben Greenhalgh joins Inter Milan after winning Sky TV programme Football's Next Star". Kent Online. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "ENGLISH LAD GREENHALGH MAKING STRIDES AT INTER MILAN". Tribal Football. 11 December 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Owen, Brian (17 March 2011). "Gus: It's not my call". The Argus. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Hoad, Alex (16 February 2012). "Welling United's Ben Greenhalgh is glad to be back where it all started following time at Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan". Kent Online. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Ebbsfleet sign Ben Greenhalgh and give Aaron Williams a deal". BBC Sport. 10 August 2012.
- "Stones bring in Greenhalgh". Maidstone United. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Dewar, Heather (3 June 2013). "Inverness sign trio, including reality TV star Ben Greenhalgh". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Preview. Home v St Mirren". ICTFC.com. Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC. 28 March 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- ""It doesn't matter who we get. We just want to get going again" - Hughes". Inverness Courier (Scottish Provincial Press). 20 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.