Hartsock in 2009.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||July 5, 1980|
|Place of birth:||Chillicothe, Ohio|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school:||Chillicothe (OH) Union-Scioto|
|NFL draft:||2004 / Round: 3 / Pick: 68|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2013|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Benjamin Richard Hartsock (born July 5, 1980) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Ohio State and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft.
He attended Union Scioto High School in Chillicothe, Ohio, where he caught 86 passes for 1562 yards (18.16 yards per rec. avg.). He also played running back, placekicker, and linebacker. He recorded 61 tackles, and 19 quarterback sacks during his senior season, after switching from linebacker to defensive end. Hartsock was a three-year captain and four-year letter winner. Hartsock committed to play at Ohio State University during his senior year of high school. He attended Ohio State University from 1999 to 2004 and then was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts.
Hartsock attended the Ohio State University, where he played tight end. He was a three-time Academic All-Big 10 Conference honoree and won CoSIDA Academic All-American honors as a junior.
During his college career, Hartsock started 31 of 51 games. For his career, he had 58 receptions for 519 yards (8.9 yards per reception average). Hartsock recorded 33 catches for 290 yards (2 TDs) in his senior year alone and was a contributor for the 2002 National Championship team that defeated the Miami Hurricanes in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.
Hartsock was drafted in the 3rd round (68th pick overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts. He served as a reserve tight end in his time with the Colts, playing behind Marcus Pollard and Dallas Clark.
In 2006, Hartsock signed with the Colts' division rival, the Tennessee Titans. He started twelve games, compiling 206 yards receiving in two years at tight end for Tennessee. The Titans lost Hartsock to unrestricted free agency in March 2008.
New York Jets
Hartsock was signed by the New York Jets on September 2, 2009 to a one year $1.2 million contract. Hartsock recorded his first career touchdown on a two-yard pass from Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez against his former team, the Tennessee Titans, in September 2009.
Hartsock was re-signed by the team to a two-year contract in March 2010. On March 2, 2011, Hartsock was released by the Jets after spending the past two seasons with the team primarily as a blocker.
New England Patriots
- "Titans agree to terms with Blakley". The City Paper (SouthComm Inc.). March 18, 2008. Archived from the original on August 16, 2011. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- WJBF Staff (March 3, 2008). "Atlanta Falcons Reach Contract Agreement With Ben Hartsock". WJBF-TV. Archived from the original on October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- "Source: Turner to get approximately $15M guaranteed from Falcons". ESPN. March 3, 2008. Archived from the original on October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- Ledbetter, D. Orlando (September 1, 2009). "Falcons release three players". AJC.com (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution). Archived from the original on October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- Hutchinson, Dave (September 2, 2009). "NY Jets sign tight end Ben Hartsock". The Star-Ledger (Advance Publications). Archived from the original on October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- Hutchinson, Dave (September 29, 2009). "For NY Jets blocking tight end Ben Hartsock, a long awaited trip to the end zone". The Star-Ledger (Advance Publications). Archived from the original on October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- Wilson, Aaron (March 8, 2010). "Source: Ben Hartsock re-signs with Jets". National Football Post. Archived from the original on October 25, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- Cimini, Rich (March 2, 2011). "Jets cut Vernon Gholston, Ben Hartsock". ESPN. Archived from the original on March 2, 2011. Retrieved March 2, 2011.
- Richards, Scott (July 28, 2011). "Ben Hartsock signs with Carolina Panthers". Chillicothe Gazette (Gannett Company). Archived from the original on July 29, 2011. Retrieved July 29, 2011.
- Wesseling, Chris (August 10, 2014). "Ben Hartsock, Steve Maneri signed by Patriots". NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- Sessler, Marc. "Ben Hartsock released by New England Patriots". Retrieved 14 August 2014.