Ben Harvey (rugby union)
|Birth name||Benjamin John Harvey|
|Date of birth||26 June 1974|
|Place of birth||Redruth, England|
|Rugby union career|
Harvey played rugby as a Fly-half. During his career he played for Bristol Rugby under the captaincy of future England and British and Irish Lions captain, Martin Corry. In 1996, he left Bristol for Richmond before leaving after the 1997–98 season. After his time at Richmond, Harvey moved to Worcester Warriors. Harvey then moved to Stourbridge RFC in 2001. During his playing career, he also played for the England national rugby sevens team. During his time at Stourbridge Ben became a regular scorer in National League 1 and is one of the top scorers in the division of all time.
In 2004, Harvey coached the Kenya national rugby sevens team. In 2005, Harvey left Stourbridge to move to Pertemps Bees as a player/coach. He became the coach of the backs. In 2007, after the head coach was made redundant, Harvey was appointed as the head coach of Pertemps Bees however he was removed from his position after fifteen games because of poor results. In 2008, Harvey was appointed as professional head coach to Jersey and later became Jersey's director of rugby as well as head coach after the incumbent stood down to become the vice-president of Jersey. During Harvey's time at Jersey, he coached them through five consecutive promotions to the RFU Championship from London 2 South. In 2011, Harvey led calls for the States of Jersey to construct a new sports centre in Jersey in order to improve sports facilities in Jersey. In 2012, he was awarded the "Coach of the Year Award" in the CI Sports Personality of the Year awards.
- Ayres, Martin (1996-08-28). "Courage Clubs' Championship National League One". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Ben Harvey". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Harvey boosts Worcester bid; Worcester 23 London Welsh 10". Sunday Mercury (archived at The Free Library). Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Harvey stepping up for some hands-on action". The Birmingham Post (archived at The Free Library). 2005-09-24. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Harvey signed as new Jersey coach". BBC Sport. 2008-04-30. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "National One All time leading scorers". Rugby Statbunker. 10 January 2016.
- "Sevens team heads for Hong Kong". Daily Nation. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Bolton, Paul (2005-09-26). "Quins work hard to keep record". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Ailing Bees axe Harvey for Xmas". The Birmingham Post (archived at The Free Library). 2007-12-19. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Jersey RFC unveil new pro coach". This is Jersey. 2008-04-30. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Burton quits as director of rugby". BBC sport. 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Kessel, Anna (2013-03-28). "Jersey's pint-fuelled preparations are in past as they face Newcastle". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Jersey Rugby coach wants a new sports centre for Jersey". BBC News. 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "CI Sports Personality of the Year". This is Jersey. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2013-05-06.