14 December 1991 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (16 st 1 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Lock, Centre, Hooker|
Ben Henry is a New Zealand former rugby league player who represented New Zealand and played professionally for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League competition. Henry was a utility player who could fill in at lock, second-row, centre and hooker.
Born in Auckland, New Zealand, Henry is of Cook Islands and Māori descent. Henry was educated at Kelston Boys' High School and played for the Bay Roskill Vikings before debuting for the Junior Warriors in the NYC at just 17 years old. Henry was named the 2009 New Zealand Warriors' Young NYC Player of the Year. Henry was appointed the Junior Warriors' captain in 2010, but missed the Grand Final victory due to injury. Henry again captained the side in 2011, leading the Junior Warriors to a second straight premiership. Henry finished his Junior Warriors career having played in a record 64 games.
Henry was named to play his debut NRL match in the Warriors round 1 match of the 2012 NRL season, against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Eden Park, making his debut at centre and shifting the other debutant Konrad Hurrell to the interchange bench after having originally been named to play off of the bench. In round 6, against the Canberra Raiders at Canberra Stadium, Henry scored his first NRL career try in the Warriors 32-12 loss. On 17 June 2012, Henry had his contract with the Warriors extended for 3 years to the end of the 2015 season. Henry finished his debut year in the NRL playing in all the Warriors 24 matches, scoring 8 tries and kicking 2 goals. Henry was named the New Zealand Rugby League's 2012 Rookie of the Year.
After playing in 3 matches after round 8 due to a knee injury, Henry was one of the shock debutant selections for Stephen Kearney’s New Zealand Kiwis squad to play against the Australian Kangaroos in the 2014 ANZAC Test at the SFS. He was selected at hooker due to injuries to Issac Luke and Thomas Leuluai. Henry finished off the 2014 NRL season, playing in 16 matches and scoring 6 tries.
On 31 January and 1 February, Henry played for the Warriors in the 2015 NRL Auckland Nines. He played his 50th NRL match in round three before his season was ended in round four when he tore his ACL, the same injury he suffered in 2013. In the 2015 season he played in 4 matches for the Warriors.
In round 1 against the Wests Tigers, Henry re-injured his knee in his return match from injury, his first game since round 4 of the 2015 NRL season. On 2 August 2016, Henry announced that he would retire at the end of the season, due to his constant knee injuries.
- "Ben Henry - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130503091208/http://www.islandsbusiness.com/2013/4/sport/tug-of-war-over-pacific-talent/. Archived from the original on May 3, 2013. Retrieved September 10, 2013. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120319114804/http://www.warriors.co.nz/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=5178&player=ben-henry&team=Warriors. Archived from the original on March 19, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Henry to again lead Junior Warriors in NYC". NRL.com. 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Warriors v Sea Eagles Coverage". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150205142124/http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/warriors-name-konrad-hurrell-make-debut-4744657. Archived from the original on February 5, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2015. Missing or empty
- "First half Blitz Sets Up Raiders Victory Over Warriors in Canberra". The Australian. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- Aaron Lawton. "Warriors' Ben Henry gets extended contract". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "2012 New Zealand Rugby League awards. - Canterbury Rugby League". Fox Sports Pulse. 2012-11-07. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Panthers Run In Ten Tries to Thrash Warriors 62-6". Foxsports.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- David Long (2013-05-24). "Warriors' Ben Henry out for rest of the season". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Henry staring at second ACL injury". NRL.com. 2014-03-16. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "League: Six rookies among Anzac Kiwis - Sport - NZ Herald News". Nzherald.co.nz. 2014-04-27. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- Phil Mitchell. "Australia v New Zealand". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "WARRIORS NAME 2015 NINES SQUAD". Rugby League Week. 2015-01-16. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Ben Henry's Warriors season over, again | ONE News Now". TVNZ.co.nz. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Custom Match List". Rugby League Project. 2015-10-24. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "The west turns wild as Tigers cling on in try-fest against New Zealand Warriors". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "League: Ben Henry's 2016 season may be over". The New Zealand Herald.
- "Ben Henry announces retirement". New Zealand Warriors.
- "2016 NRL-RLPA Academic Team of the Year".