18 February 1980 |
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||182 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||86 kg (13 st 8 lb)|
|2000–12||St. George Illawarra||273||59||12||2||262|
|2004–08||New South Wales||3||0||0||0||0|
|Source: Rugby League Project|
Ben Hornby (born 10 February 1980 in Wollongong, New South Wales) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of the 2000s and 2010s. An Australian international and New South Wales State of Origin representative back, he captained the St George Illawarra Dragons of the National Rugby League from 2009 until his retirement in 2012. Hornby played his entire career with the Dragons, leading them to the 2010 NRL Premiership and becoming their most capped player since the formation of the joint venture club in 1999.
Hornby began his rugby league career in 2000.
Hornby played one match for Australia, their loss to Great Britain during the 2006 Rugby League Tri-Nations.
Hornby went to Corrimal Public School and Corrimal High School.
Previously a co-captain in 2007, in 2009 coach Wayne Bennett appointed Hornby captain of the team from the start of the 2009 season. Hornby was selected for Country in the City vs Country match on 8 May 2009. However, he did not play in the match after withdrawing with injury.
On 3 October 2010, Hornby captained the Dragons to their first Premiership in 31 years, when they defeated the Sydney Roosters 32-8 in the 2010 NRL Grand Final. He went on to captain the Dragons to victory in the following February's 2011 World Club Challenge against the Wigan Warriors in England.
Hornby announced on 21 August 2012 that he would retire from the Dragons after playing 13 seasons for the club.
- Junior Club: Corrimal Cougars
- First Grade Debut: Round 23, St George Illawarra v Penrith at Penrith, 8 July 2000
- Representative Record: Under 19 Australia 1999, Under 19s NSW 1999, Origin NSW 2004, City vs Country 2005 and 2006, NSW 2006, Junior Kangaroos 2006, Australia 2006
- Captaincy: Round 1, St George Illawarra v Melbourne Storm at Melbourne, 2009
- Premiership: Grand Final, St George Illawarra v Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium, 3 October 2010
- "Wayne Bennett appoints Ben Hornby as captain of St George Illawarra". Fox Sports News (Australia). 5 March 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2009.
- Balym, Todd (3 May 2009). "Blues halfback duel in two as Mitchell Pearce misses selection". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "St George Illawarra five-eighth Jamie Soward called up for Country". Fox Sports. 4 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- State of Origin Official website Rugby League Player Stats
- Ben Hornby player profile at St. George Illawarra Dragons