|Member of the California State Senate
from the 40th district
March 21, 2013
|Preceded by||Juan Vargas|
|Member of the California State Assembly
from the 80th district
79th district (2010–2012)
December 6, 2010 – March 21, 2013
|Preceded by||Mary Salas|
|Succeeded by||Lorena Gonzalez|
|Member of San Diego City Council representing the Eighth District|
December 5, 2005 – December 6, 2010
|Preceded by||Ralph Inzunza|
|Succeeded by||David Alvarez|
September 2, 1969 |
San Diego, California
|Residence||Logan Heights, California|
|Alma mater||San Diego State University
University of California, Los Angeles
|Occupation||Small business owner|
Benjamin "Ben" Hueso (born September 2, 1969) is a Democratic politician from San Diego, California. He was elected to the California State Senate in a special election on March 12, 2013, representing the 40th district. Previously he served in the California State Assembly, representing the 80th District from 2012 to 2013 and the 79th district from 2010 to 2012. Prior to that he served on the San Diego City Council, including two years as city council president.
Education and career
Hueso was born in San Diego and grew up in Logan Heights. His parents were immigrants from Mexico and community activists, running an informal community medical clinic out of their home. He graduated from Point Loma High School and then from the University of California, Los Angeles with a degree in Sociology/Urban Studies and Planning. He studied at the University of Odessa, Ukraine and completed post-graduate work in Community and Economic Development at San Diego State University. He worked for the city as a redevelopment agency staffer and also owned his own business.
San Diego City Council
Hueso was elected in a special 2005 election and reelected in the regular 2006 election to represent San Diego City Council District 8. He was the only Latino on the council at the time. He was chosen by his colleagues to serve as City Council President 2009-2010, the second person to serve in that post. He was also a member of the California Coastal Commission for two years while serving on the City Council.
California State Assembly
He was elected in November 2010 to represent the 79th District in the California State Assembly of the California State Legislature. In 2012 he was elected to the 80th district due to redistricting.
California State Senate
In January 2013 he declared his candidacy for the State Senate 40th district, which became vacant when State Senator Juan Vargas was elected to Congress. He won the election on March 12, 2013, avoiding a runoff by garnering 52.3% of the vote against three other candidates. He took office on March 21, 2013.
Hueso is a lifelong resident of Logan Heights in San Diego's District 8. He is married to Laura Hueso; they have 4 sons.
At 2:49 a.m. on Aug 22, 2014, Sen. Hueso was arrested in downtown Sacramento on suspicion of DUI.
- "Ben Hueso (D)". govbuddy.com. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- McGreevy, Patrick (March 13, 2013). "Assemblyman Ben Hueso of San Diego wins seat in state Senate". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- "Democrats Win Supermajority in California Assembly". NBC San Diego. November 15, 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- Blair, Tom (March 2009). "Ben Hueso". San Diego Magazine. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- Assembly Member Ben Hueso - Biography
- "The New Council Prez". Voice of San Diego. January 2, 2009. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- Walker, Mark (January 4, 2013). "Hueso makes Senate bid official". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Ben Hueso takes Senate seat, restores Democratic supermajority". Sacramento Bee. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "State Sen. Ben Hueso arrested on suspicion of DUI". SFGate. Retrieved 2016-06-10.