|No. 71 New York Jets|
|Date of birth:||August 6, 1989|
|Place of birth:||New Brunswick, New Jersey|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||322 lb (146 kg)|
|High school:||Mount Holly (NJ) Rancocas Valley|
|NFL draft:||2011 / Round: 2 / Pick: 49|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 15, 2015|
Benjamin Ijalana (// EYE-jə-LAH-nə; born August 6, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Villanova and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Ijalana's parents immigrated to the U.S. from Nigeria. A native of New Brunswick, New Jersey, Ijalana attended Willingboro High School in his freshman and sophomore year, before transferring to Rancocas Valley Regional High School, where he was a two-way lineman, and district champion in wrestling.
2011 NFL Draft
The Sporting News listed Ijalana as one of the five most "intriguing small-school prospects". He was selected 49th overall by the Indianapolis Colts in the 2011 NFL Draft, the highest selected Villanova Wildcat since Howie Long in 1981.
Entering draft day Ijalana was listed as a second round prospect with the possibility of jumping into the first round. He was projected as a right tackle, following his strong showing as a left tackle in college and his good arm length and hand size. Additionally he had the ability to fall back as a guard. On day two of the draft, the Indianapolis Colts traded their 53rd and 152nd pick to the Redskins for the 49th pick that Ijalana was selected at.
Ijalana played four games in his rookie season before tearing his ACL and landing on injured reserve.
A few weeks after being cleared to play, Ijalana tore his ACL again during training camp in 2012. Ijalana was eventually declared out for the 2012 season. He was waived/injured on August 1, 2012, and he was subsequently placed on injured reserve on August 5.
New York Jets
- Fernandez, Bernard (April 27, 2011). "Too big for soccer, Villanova's Ijalana may be ready for NFL". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Ijalana tackles task of being top lineman at Villanova". Delaware County Daily Times. September 10, 2010.
- "2010 Outland Trophy Watch List Announced". FWAA. June 21, 2010.
- "Villanova's Ben Ijalana named to Outland Trophy Watch list". Philadelphia Inquirer. June 22, 2010.
- Dillon, Dennis (February 20, 2011). "Five sleepers to watch at NFL Scouting Combine". Sporting News.
- Wilson, Josh. "Ben Ijalana waived, injured - Colts sign Ty Nsekh". http://www.stampedeblue.com/. External link in
- Lange, Randy (1 September 2013). "3 Arrive Via Waivers; 7 Added to Practice Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 1 September 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2013.