Ben King (guitarist)
|Genres||Blues, blues-rock, hard rock, psychedelic rock|
|Associated acts||The Yardbirds (2005-)|
|Website||Ben King's Official Site
The Yardbirds Official Site
Ben King (born 22 July 1984) is a British professional guitarist, who joined English blues-rock band The Yardbirds in October 2005. He has gained popularity  as a musician owing to his extensive technical ability of the guitar coupled with his young age.
Born to a musical family (his father having also been a professional guitarist) in 1984, King spent the majority of his life devoted to the guitar, growing up listening to the vast range of music provided by his parents. King developed an astute understanding of the guitar at a very early stage, garnering both a technical and philosophical approach alongside a head-down work ethic.
Having spent time in various bands and gaining local notoriety for his talent, he moved to Guildford, Surrey where he enrolled at the Academy of Contemporary Music. King received a good amount of attention from the faculty with his talents, and gained the interest of ex-Alice Cooper guitarist Pete Friesen and Yardbirds bass guitarist John Idan.
Idan met Ben and [he] happened to be best guitar[ist] there. John recommended him. He was great. We were looking for someone who could create some of the sounds we were used to.— Jim McCarty, 2006
King was offered a role within The Yardbirds and replaced Jerry Donahue as lead guitarist in October 2005. The band booked a run of shows across England in that year before beginning to tour internationally in countries such as Germany, France, Sweden, Canada and the United States.
King features on The Yardbirds' recent live release Live At B.B. King's Blues Club (2007; Favored Nations). A clip of the song "I'm A Man", from this album was used by 20th Century Fox on the first episode of season 19 of The Simpsons.
- "About.com's Dave's Classic Rock Blog article". Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- "Praise following the release of Live at B.B. King's Blues Club: Amazon.com". Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- "ACM - Students in to Industry". Archived from the original on 18 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- Guidry, Nate (2006-07-20). "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - 'Pittsburgh Blues Festival Preview: Yardbirds fly with yet another gifted guitarist'". Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- "Theyarbirds.com announces King's arrival".
- "Live At B.B. King's Blues Club on Favored Nations". Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- "Favored Nations MySpace page confirms The Yardbirds' 'I Am A Man' to appear on The Simpsons". Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- Ben King's Official Site
- The Yardbirds Official Site
- The Yardbirds US Fansite
- The Yardbirds on Favored Nations