Ben Lewis (writer)
Ben Lewis is a writer for theatre, radio and television, theatre director and performer, who trained at LAMDA.
He co-created and directed My Name Is Sue (Soho Theatre/touring, Total Theatre Award 2009) and The Village Social (2011) with Dafydd James. Ben has also written two plays for BBC Radio 4: Blue Sky Thinking (9 September 2008) and Tiny (17 September 2010).
He is co-Artistic Director of Inspector Sands, and co-created its shows, If That's All There Is (Edinburgh International Festival Fringe Award 2009) and Hysteria (Total Theatre Award 2006), which have toured extensively in the UK and to countries including the USA, China, Russia, Germany, Romania, Armenia, and most recently to Brits Off Broadway 2010. The company is currently developing its third show, Mass Observation (working title) with support from the Southbank Centre, the National Theatre Studio and the Almeida.
Performances as an Actor
|5 December 2006 – 13 January 2007||Pinocchio||Lu Kemp||Royal Theatre, Northampton|
|18 August 2009 – 30 August 2009||If That's All There Is||Lu Kemp||Inspector Sands Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh||Edinburgh International Festival Fringe Award 2009|
|17 October 2006||Cats and Monkeys||Xavier||Lu Kemp||BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Play|
|2 April 2007 – 6 April 2007||Captain Starlight's Apprentice||Jack, Doctor & Officer||Lu Kemp||BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour Drama|
|4 September 2007||The Architects||Alan & Policeman||Lu Kemp||BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Play|
|7 August 2008||Left at Marrakech||Stickley||Fiona McAlpine||BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Play|
|9 September 2008||Blue Sky Thinking||Dave||Kirsty Williams||BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Play|
|7 March 2009||The Meek||Francis & Soldier 1||Kirsty Williams||BBC Radio 3 The Wire|
|9 February 2011||The Continuity Man||Oliver||Lu Kemp||BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Play|
- Theatre review: My Name Is Sue, The Scotsman, 23 August 2009
- My Name Is Sue Archived 5 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine., Review by Gerald Berkowitz, The Stage, 24 August 2009
- Total Theatre Award for Music and Theatre 2009[permanent dead link]
- This week's new theatre and dance: The Village Social, Lyn Gardner, The Guardian, 15 October 2011
- BBC – Afternoon Play – Blue Sky Thinking
- BBC – Afternoon Play – Tiny
- If That’s All There Is, Lyn Gardner, The Guardian, 19 August 2009
- Edinburgh Festival makes three fringe awards, STV/Reuters, 31 August 2009
- Total Theatre Award 2006
- CurtisBrown profile of Ben Lewis
- Inspector Sands profile of Ben Lewis Archived 30 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- National Theatre of Wales – The Village Social – Created by Dafydd James and Ben Lewis
- BBC – Afternoon Play – Cats and Monkeys
- BBC – Woman's Hour Drama – Captain Starlight's Apprentice
- BBC – Afternoon Play – The Architects
- BBC – Afternoon Play – Left at Marrakech
- BBC – The Wire – The Meek
- BBC – Afternoon Play – The Continuity Man