Ben Monder, Le Moulin à Jazz (France) 2011
|Born||May 24, 1962|
New York City, U.S.
Ben Monder is an American modern jazz guitarist.
Monder started playing guitar when he was eleven, after two years on violin. From 1979–84, he attended the Westchester Conservatory of Music, the University of Miami, and Queens College. One of his early jobs was in 1986 when he performed with Jack McDuff.
In 1995 he recorded his debut album, Flux, featuring drummer Jim Black and bassist Drew Gress. Bloom, a 2001 recording (an improvisation recorded in a single day) with saxophone player Bill McHenry, wasn't released until 2010. In between, he released Oceana (2005), a genre-bending solo album, and The Distance (2006), an album with pianist Chris Gestrin and drummer Dylan van der Schyff. In 2007, he recorded At Night with singer and electronic musician Theo Bleckmann and drummer Satoshi Takeishi. Monder played guitar on Bowie's final studio album, Blackstar (2016).
He has worked with Lee Konitz, David Bowie, Paul Motian, Chris Cheek, Tim Berne, David Binney, Theo Bleckmann, George Garzone, Jon Gordon, Julie Hardy, John Hollenbeck, Marc Johnson, Frank Kimbrough, Guillermo Klein, Dave Liebman, Michael Leonhart, Rebecca Martin, Donny McCaslin, Bill McHenry, Charles Pillow, Tim Ries, Pete Robbins, Josh Roseman, Maria Schneider, Kendra Shank, Toots Thielemans, Kenny Wheeler, Dan Willis, Miguel Zenón, and Patrick Zimmerli.
From 2002–2005, he taught at the New England Conservatory.
- Flux (Songlines, 1995)
- Dust (Arabesque, 1997)
- Heyday (Soul Note, 1998)
- No Boat with Theo Bleckmann (Songlines, 1997)
- Excavation (Arabesque, 2000)
- Oceana (Sunnyside, 2005)
- The Distance (Songlines, 2006)
- At Night with Theo Bleckmann (Songlines, 2007)
- Bloom with Bill McHenry (Sunnyside, 2009)
- Hydra (Sunnyside, 2013)
- Amorphae (ECM, 2015)
- I Will Follow You (Bee Jazz, 2010)
- Gasteiz (Fresh Sound New Talent, 2014)
- Shining Sea (2014)
- The Dream of the Earth
- Right Brain Patrol - Marc Johnson - 1992
- A Girl Names Joe - Chris Cheek - 1998
- Labyrinth - Jacam Manricks - 1999
- Roses - Bill McHenry - 2007
- In Pursuit - Donny McCaslin - 2007
- Panorama - Hans Glawischnig - 2008
- Introduction - Jochen Rueckert - 2009
- Infinitude - Ingrid & Chirstin Jensen - 2016
- Pocket Rhapsody - Frank Woeste - 2016
- Better Thann Gold and Silver - Yelena Eckemoff - 2018
With Guillermo Klein
- Los Gauchos II - 1999
- Los Gauchos III - 2002
- Los Gauchos Live in Barcelona - 2005
- Los Gauchos Filtros - 2008
- Domador de Huellas - 2010
- Los Gauchos La Carrera - 2012
- Los Gauchos V - 2016
- Yanow, Scott (2013). The Great Jazz Guitarists. San Francisco: Backbeat. p. 140. ISBN 978-1-61713-023-6.
- Loewy, Steve. "Flux: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- Adler, David. "Ben Monder: Biography". Allmusic. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Ben Monder | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 28 July 2017.