Ben Moon (rock climber)
|Born||13 June 1966|
|Type of climber||Sport climbing, bouldering|
|Updated on 13 May 2013.|
During the late 1980s and early 1990s, Moon, along with his climbing partner Jerry Moffatt moved forward the level of sport climbing, both in the UK and internationally. He was the first person to climb a route at the grade of (French) 8c+, establishing Hubble at Raven Tor. Hubble was then the hardest sport route in the world. The crux, or the hardest section, consists of a Font 8B boulder problem. After very few repeats despite attempts from some of the world's best climbers, the route is now considered by some to be a 9a. The 8c+ grade was however confirmed by Alex Megos. Moon is best known for short and powerful routes and boulder problems.
Moon's first officially declared 8c routes had somewhat controversial names. The routes were both in France and had been previously attempted for a long time by local climbers. After climbing them Moon named them after French military disasters, first the Maginot Line, at Volx, and secondly Agincourt, at Buoux.
In 2004 Moon was still climbing, although he was concentrating on bouldering and teaching. He also started an equipment company, moon, his second after splitting from his partner in his previous company, S7.
- One Summer, Bouldering In The Peak (1994)
- The Real Thing (1996)
- Hard Grit (1998)
- Stick it (2001)
- Stone Love (2001)
- Winter Sessions (2006)
- "Adam Ondra, the routes I cannot climb! - Planetmountain.com, climbing, News, mountaineering". planetmountain.com. 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sport Climbing World Powers". ukclimbing.com. July 2006. Retrieved 14 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Entrevista a Ben Moon" (in Spanish). desnivel.com. 25 June 2001. Retrieved 14 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jim Thornburg. "Buoux: Revisiting France's Crag of the 1980s". climbing.com. Retrieved 14 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ben Moon storms through Rainshadow 9a at Malham Cove - Planetmountain.com, climbing, News, mountaineering". planetmountain.com. 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "INTERVIEW: Ben Moon on Rainshadow 9a - "I'm Over the Moon!"". ukclimbing.com. 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)