7 February 1991|
East Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||186 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||120 kg (18 st 13 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Lock, Prop|
As of 4 April 2018
Ben Murdoch-Masila (born 7 February 1991) is a Tongan international rugby league footballer who plays for the Warrington Wolves in the Super League. He is a Tongan international representative, who plays at prop, second-row and lock and previously played for the Wests Tigers and Penrith Panthers in the National Rugby League, and Salford Red Devils in the Super League.
Murdoch-Masila was born in East Auckland, New Zealand.
Murdoch-Masila played junior football with Otahuhu Black. He undertook a scholarship with Wests Tigers at Keebra Park High School and was a member of the team that won the 2009 Arrive Alive Cup. Murdoch-Masila weighed 150 kg when he arrived at Keebra Park, dropping 40 kg before he joined the Wests Tigers NYC team.
A regular on the bench in 2012, Murdoch-Masila played in 20 games for the season and scored five tries, including a double against the Eels. He also signed an extension to stay with the club until the end of 2015, with coach Tim Sheens saying, "There is no doubt Ben has enormous talent and potential. He is a strike weapon and can become a top line player of the game with the right kind of commitment to his training regime."
Missing only one game, Murdoch-Masila was one of the most regular first grade players for Wests Tigers in 2013. He started the season playing from the reserve bench, but started in the back row in the last 5 games of the season. In April, Murdoch-Masila made his international debut, playing in the Pacific Rugby League International for the Tongan side that thrashed Samoa 36–4. He was chosen to represent Tonga in the 2013 World Cup, but a leg injury in his first hit-up of the tournament saw him take no further part.
On 2 May 2015, Murdoch-Masila played for Tonga in their Polynesian Cup clash with Pacific rivals Samoa. During the 2015 season, he did not play any NRL games for the Panthers and was not re-signed beyond 2015. On 17 October 2015, Murdoch-Masila played for Tonga in their Asia-Pacific Qualifier match against the Cook Islands for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.
- Rugby League Project
- League Central
- "Terrific Tigers, unlikely outsiders and desperate survivors - Mirror Sport's mid-term rugby league report". Mirror. 1 August 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Ben Murdoch-Masila". weststigers.com.au. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- Jake Dew. "Weight loss turns Ben into big winner". goldcoast.com.au. Archived from the original on 6 April 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2009.
-  Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Glenn Jackson (13 September 2010). "Rookie proves he's worth his salt in 100-minute blockbuster". Sydney Morning Herald. Archived from the original on 15 September 2010. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- Junior Kiwis dominated by NYC Grand Finalists Archived 7 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine. rleague.com, 5 October 2011
- "Ben Murdoch-Masila signs on until the end of 2015". weststigers.com.au. 31 August 2012. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Adrian Warren (20 April 2013). "Tonga smashes Samoa in a chaotic league Test shutout at Penrith's Centrebet Stadium". Fox Sports. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Steve Mascord (30 October 2013). "RLWC: Scotland upset Tonga with late try". Border Mail. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Panthers sign Ben Murdoch-Masila | NRL". Zero Tackle. 2014-04-30. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Panthers farewell departing players | NRL". Zero Tackle. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Murdoch-Masila.|