August 3, 1988|
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
|Other names||Ben 10|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8.9 st)|
|Reach||65 1⁄2 in (166 cm)|
|Style||Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Brisbane, Australia|
3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo |
Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Green belt in Judo
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Ben Nguyen or Nguyễn Ben, (born August 3, 1988) is an American mixed martial artist who currently competes as a flyweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), holding a record of 4–2 with the organization. He is also Nitro Bantamweight Champion, K-Oz Bantamweight Champion and No. 1 Bantamweight in Australia. As of 26 July 2018, he is the #11 flyweight in official UFC rankings.
Nguyen began his professional mixed martial arts career while working during the day as a computer technician. In 2012 he went to Thailand to attend Tiger Muay Thai & MMA Scholar Athlete program. He then moved to Brisbane, Australia fighting from there.
Nguyen made his professional MMA debut in December 2006, losing his first fight. Over the next nearly eight years, he amassed a record of 14 wins against 5 losses; in the process he became the Nitro Bantamweight Champion, K-Oz Bantamweight Champion and the number one Bantamweight in Australia, in 2015.
Nguyen achieved internet fame when his fight versus Julian Wallace surfaced on YouTube in 2013. Wallace attempted to intimidate Nguyen at the pre-fight weigh-ins by forcefully putting his fist against Ben's chin and trying to put Nguyen off his game. This tactic, however, proved ineffective as Nguyen knocked Wallace out within 25 seconds of the first round. The video of this fight went viral and has amassed over 18 million views on YouTube, and over a 100 million views on Facebook and other social network platforms.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Nguyen was expected to face Justin Scoggins on March 20, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 85. However, Scoggins pulled out of the fight in the week leading up to the event citing injury. As a result, Nguyen was pulled from the card entirely.
Nguyen was expected to face Joseph Benavidez on June 11, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 110. However, Benavidez pulled out of the fight on May 10 with a knee injury and was replaced by Tim Elliott. He won the fight by submission due to a rear-naked choke in the first round. The win also earned him his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Nguyen's hometown is Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Nguyen said that he started Taekwondo when he was twelve years old after he was bullied in school. After high school, he went to college to become an engineer but then he switched paths to follow his dream of becoming an MMA fighter.
Ben met his wife, Brisbane kickboxer April Adams, while training in Thailand, eventually following her to make Brisbane his home. They married in late 2015. In a 2015 video, Nguyen said that he owns two cats which were both about a year old. Nguyen said that he likes cars and motorcycles.
Ben is a fan of the anime Hajime no Ippo. He's said that the show had been an inspiration to him as long as he's been fighting. He uses "Inner Light," one of the anime's opening songs, as his intro song for his fights. 
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Nitro MMA
- Nitro MMA Bantamweight Champion (One Time)
- One successful title defense
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|25 matches||18 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||18–7||Jussier Formiga||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 221||February 11, 2018||3||1:43||Perth, Australia|
|Win||18–6||Tim Elliott||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Hunt||June 11, 2017||1||0:49||Auckland, New Zealand||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–6||Geane Herrera||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||November 27, 2016||3||5:00||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||16–6||Louis Smolka||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC Fight Night: McDonald vs. Lineker||July 13, 2016||2||4:41||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||16–5||Ryan Benoit||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 193||November 15, 2015||1||2:35||Melbourne, Australia|
|Win||15–5||Alp Ozkilic||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt||May 10, 2015||1||4:59||Adelaide, Australia||Flyweight debut.|
|Win||14–5||Reece McLaren||Decision (unanimous)||Nitro MMA 12||October 11, 2014||5||5:00||Logan City, Australia||Defended the Nitro MMA Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||13–5||Julian Wallace||KO (punch)||Nitro MMA 11||March 8, 2013||1||0:25||Logan City, Australia||Won the Nitro MMA Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||12–5||Shantaram Maharaj||Submission (rear-naked choke)||K-Oz Entertainment – Bragging Rights 6: Night of Titles||July 27, 2013||3||3:58||Madeley, Australia|
|Win||11–5||Luke Morris||Decision (unanimous)||K.O. Martial Arts: Adrenalin-Unleashed||June 29, 2013||3||5:00||Eatons Hill, Australia|
|Win||10–5||Kian Pham||TKO (punches)||Australia Regional||April 27, 2013||2||2:48||Brisbane, Australia|
|Win||9–5||Greg Penaloza||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Roshambo MMA 1: In the Cage||April 6, 2013||2||5:00||Brisbane, Australia|
|Win||8–5||Andrew Whitney||Submission (armbar)||The Cage Inc.: Battle at the Border 9||April 23, 2011||1||3:48||Hankinson, North Dakota, United States|
|Loss||7–5||Chavalit Sityodtong||TKO (punches)||Martial Combat 7||August 18, 2010||2||N/A||Sentosa, Singapore|
|Win||7–4||Laramie Shaffer||TKO (doctor stoppage)||OFC: Battle at Huset's Speedway||July 31, 2010||1||5:00||Brandon, South Dakota, United States|
|Loss||6–4||Josh Phillips||TKO (punches)||The Cage Inc.: Battle at the Border 5||May 15, 2010||4||3:51||Hankinson, North Dakota, United States|
|Loss||6–3||Eric Perez||TKO (punches)||Canadian Fighting Championship 3||November 13, 2009||2||4:20||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Loss||6–2||Alexis Vila||KO (punch)||PFC: Best of Both Worlds||February 6, 2009||2||0:34||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||6–1||Danny Schroder||TKO (corner stoppage)||TCI: Fight Hunger||October 17, 2008||2||2:07||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||5–1||Nate Hansen||Submission (triangle choke)||The Cage Inc.: Summer Slam 4||June 14, 2008||1||1:30||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||4–1||Nick Holbrook||KO (punches)||Fury Fights: Battle in Brookings 3||April 21, 2007||2||2:36||Brookings, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||3–1||Mitch Wisner||TKO (punches)||Fury Fights: Temple Fight Night 2||March 10, 2007||1||2:00||Brookings, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||2–1||Chuck Page||KO (elbows)||Fury Fights: Temple Fight Night 1||March 1, 2007||1||3:12||Brookings, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||1–1||Jess Fuhriman||KO (punches)||Fury Fights: Battle in Brookings 2||February 24, 2007||1||0:34||Brookings, South Dakota, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Austin Peterson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Fury Fights: Battle in Brookings 1||December 2, 2006||2||0:58||Brookings, South Dakota, United States|
- "Ben Nguyen - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- Ben 10 Nguyen [@Ben10MMA] (June 29, 2016). "Caught by surprise tonight with a belt promotion to brow belt! @ufc #bjj #mma #UFCSiouxFalls" (Tweet). Retrieved December 4, 2016 – via Twitter.
- Nitro MMA’s Ben Nguyen: Everything Down to a Science, combatpress, October 8, 2014
- Bantamweight – Ben Nguyen, k-ozentertainment
- "Fighter Rankings UFC ®". UFC Fighter Rankings. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- Goyder, James (2015-06-04). "How a Video Going Viral Helped Launch the UFC Career of Ben Nguyen | FIGHTLAND". Fightland.vice.com. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- "Ben Nguyen: Not Your Typical UFC Debut Story - Ultimate Fighting Championship-Mobile". M.uk.ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- "Ben Nguyen will fight in his home town at UFC Brisbane next month". Heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- Nguyen, Michael D. "Baby-Faced Brawler: Ben Nguyen Scores UFC Contract After Viral Knockout". NBC News. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- Cepeda, Elias (2015-11-17). "Ben Nguyen hopes UFC success helps him become more than 'internet famous'". FOX Sports. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- Staff (April 1, 2015). "Australian based fighter Ben Nguyen signs with UFC, slated to meet Alptekin Ozkilic at UFC Adelaide". fightnewsaustralia.com. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Brent Brookhouse (May 9, 2015). "UFC Fight Night 65 results: Ben Nguyen stops Alptekin Ozkilic with one second left in first". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- Staff (2015-09-03). "UFC 193 adds Ryan Benoit vs. Ben Nguyen". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- Matt Erickson (November 15, 2015). "UFC 193 results: Ben Nguyen takes out Ryan Benoit with ease with first-round choke". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- Emma Challands (2016-02-11). "UFC Brisbane: Ben Nguyen vs Justin Scoggins and added to Fight Night 85 card". fightnewsaustralia.com. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- Staff (2016-03-12). "Nguyen vs. Scoggins scrapped, Laprise now meets Pearson in UFC Fight Night 85 shuffle". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Staff (2016-04-21). "Ben Nguyen vs. Louis Smolka added to UFC Fight Night 91". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-07-13). "UFC Fight Night 91 results: Louis Smolka takes out hometown fan favorite Ben Nguyen in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- FNA Staff (2016-10-12). "UFC Melbourne: Ben Nguyen faces Geane Herrera". fightnewsaustralia.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-11-27). "UFC Fight Night 101 results: Ben Nguyen cruises past Geane Herrera for easy unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-03-23). "Joseph Benavidez to face Ben Nguyen at UFC Fight Night 110 in New Zealand". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- Damon Martin (2017-05-10). "Tim Elliott replaces Joseph Benavidez, faces Ben Nguyen at UFC Fight Night in New Zealand". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-06-10). "UFC Fight Night 110 results: Ben Nguyen dismantles Tim Elliott, chokes him out inside 1 minute". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-10.
- Staff (2017-06-10). "UFC Fight Night 110 bonuses: Finishes by Ben Nguyen, Dan Hooker earn them $50K". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-06-10.
- "UFC locks in first bouts for Perth event". The West Australian. 2017-11-10. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- Matt Erickson (2017-08-11). "UFC 221 results: Jussier Formiga chokes out Ben Nguyen after spinning backfist". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-08-11). "Wilson Reis meets Ben Nguyen during UFC Adelaide in Flyweight clash". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-08-11. (in Dutch)
- In a video titled, "Ben Nguyen anxious to fight again in Sioux Falls after eight years away from home", which was published to YouTube on July 11, 2016, someone off camera asked Nguyen, "Give us an idea of what it's like. This is a fight you wanted. You got it, so how's it feel to be here now?". Nguyen said, "It's, it's like living a dream almost, like I woulda never have thought UFC woulda came to my hometown of Sioux Falls, but, um, yeah, I just can't, it kinda came full circle for me. Um, when I started my journey, and I uh went to Tiger Muay Thai, in Thailand, uh to train, and get a little bit of extra knowledge, um, you know. I lived in Australia for a bit, now I'm back here in Sioux Falls, my hometown, so it's, for the UFC, so that's even, like, I can't even put words to describe it. It's just, it's just surreal. It's like a dream." A person off camera asked Nguyen, "Are, are you living here again?" Nguyen responded, "No, I'm not living here permanently right now, but um, no I always come back every, uh, every year to visit my mom and dad, and uh, my whole family's out here, so, it's good." The first question by the person off camera starts at the beginning of the video, and the first question ends at the 0:05 mark of the video. Nguyen's first response starts at the 0:05 mark of the video, and his first response ends at the 0:37 mark of the video. The second question by the person off camera starts at the 0:36 mark of the video, and that question ends at the 0:38 mark of the video. Nguyen's second response starts at the 0:38 mark of the video, and Nguyen's second response ends at the 0:51 mark of the video.
- Nguyen talks about himself in a video that was published to YouTube on April 3, 2013. From the 6:43 mark of the video to the 6:52 mark of the video, Nguyen said, "'Taekwondo, I started when I was twelve, after uh I got bullied in school. My mom threw me into martial arts."
- UFC Fight Night 65: Miocic v Hunt: Queensland well represented on Adelaide card, smh.com.au, May 7, 2015
- In a video that was published to YouTube on December 2, 2015, Nguyen said that he owns two cats. From the 2:13 mark of the video to the 2:25 mark of the video, Nguyen said, "So, I've got two cats. Uh, they're about a year old. Their names uh Tofu and Yuki, and uh I take good care of them, and play with them throughout the day. They kinda keep me sane, you know, just cutting weight and stuff."
- Nguyen talked about himself in a video that was published to YouTube on December 2, 2015. From the 2:25 mark of the video to the 2:38 mark of the video, Nguyen said, "I really like, cars and motorcycles. I just love riding, just love the, the freedom of just, not being enclosed in a, a steel cage, and, even though like I fight one sometimes. Ha! Ha!"