Reid during a pre-season match in March 2017
|Full name||Ben Reid|
|Date of birth||29 April 1989|
|Original team(s)||Murray Bushrangers (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||8th overall, 2006 National Draft, Collingwood|
|Height||195 cm (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (225 lb)|
|Position(s)||Defender / Forward|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of round 10, 2018.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Reid was taken with Collingwood's first pick in the 2006 AFL Draft, pick number eight, and was handed the number 20 guernsey which was vacated by Chris Tarrant, after he was traded to the Fremantle Dockers. Reid made his Collingwood debut in Round 13, 2007 against Hawthorn, aged 18 years and 2 months. He was the youngest player in the AFL at the time. Originally recruited as a forward, he is now recognised as one of the best key defenders in the game. He previously played for the Murray Bushrangers, Wangaratta Rovers and Bright Junior Football Club.
Prior to 2010 Reid had only played a cumulated total of 8 games from 2007 to 2009. 2010 would become his breakout year when he went on to play 21 games out of a possible 26. In round 12 he was nominated for the AFL Rising Star award, and went on to finish 10th overall. Reid played in both Grand Finals opposite St Kilda's Justin Koschitzke. In the Grand Final replay Reid suffered a leg injury, but wanted to play on and finish the game. It was later discovered that he had continued to play with a fractured fibula.
Reid continued his good form and was rewarded with selection in the 2011 All-Australian team in the centre half-back position and a seventh placing in the Copeland Trophy, Collingwood's best and fairest award. However his season finished on a poor note, being well beaten by Tom Hawkins in the 2011 AFL Grand Final. He had injured his groin in the lead up to the Qualifying Final, three weeks earlier.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2017 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Horan, Michael (2007-06-29). "Magpies pick teen Reid". Herald Sun. Heraldsun.com.au. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- Mitchell, Chris (2009-05-10). "Collingwood's Ben Reid proving master of defence". Courier Mail. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia: News.com.au. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- Boulton, Martin (4 October 2010). "Injured pair helped inspire their Magpie teammates". The Age. Melbourne.
- Quayle, Emma (20 September 2011). "Captain Ablett leads the way for All-Australian elite". The Age. Melbourne.
- Buckle, Greg (7 October 2011). "AFL Magpies name Pendlebury best player". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Walsh, Courtney (2 October 2011). "Geelong confirmed as AFL's top dogs". The Australian.
- Horan, Michael (9 September 2011). "Collingwood defender Ben Reid in doubt for Eagles clash". Herald Sun.
- Gleeson, Michael (2 October 2011). "Reid defends going against the groin". The Age. Melbourne.
- "Ben Reid's player profile". AFL Tables. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Reid.|