Ben Roberts (rugby league)
|Full name||Benjamin Tapuloa Roberts|
8 July 1985 |
Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||173 cm (5 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||94 kg (14 st 11 lb)|
|Position||Five-eighth, Halfback, Hooker, Centre|
As of 25 September 2015
He is of Samoan and New Zealand descent and is the cousin of soccer players Tim Cahill and Chris Cahill. He was educated at John Therry Catholic High School, Rosemeadow, and Patrician Brothers' College, Fairfield, alongside former Sharks centre Dean Collis.
Joining the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2006 as a five-eighth, Roberts was originally recruited from Western Suburbs Magpies before became a regular member of the NSWRL Premier League team. In 2007, he has started in halfback in the early rounds due to injury to regular playmaker Brent Sherwin. With Sherwin's return from injury and form, Roberts was shifted to five-eighth.
5 years later he was selected for Samoa in April 2013, for a test match against Tonga in Penrith, New South Wales. Later in the year he was selected for Samoa again, but this time for their 2013 Rugby League World Cup campaign. He featured in all four games that the Samoans played, scoring two tries. He scored one try against heavyweights New Zealand in an entertaining 42–24 defeat. He scored his second try in Samoa's 38–4 thrashing of The Kumuls.
On 23 January 2014, it was announced he had signed on with the Melbourne Storm for the 2014 season. In round 1 of the 2014 NRL season, Roberts made his début for the Storm against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.
Super League career
He played his first Super League game against the Catalans Dragons in the second round of the season. He scored his first Super League try against the Warrington Wolves in round 9.
Roberts scored in Castleford's opening home fixture against Wakefield in round 2 of the 2016 season.
|Club||Season||Super League||Challenge Cup||Total|
|Apps||Tries||Goals||Drop Goals||Points||Apps||Tries||Goals||Drop Goals||Points||Apps||Tries||Goals||Drop Goals||Points|
As of 25 September 2015
- ROBERTS, BENJAMIN TAPULOA 2006 – 2007 – KIWI #727 Archived 23 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine. nzleague.co.nz
- "Castleford Tigers 1st Team Ben Roberts". Official Castleford Tigers web site. Castleford Tigers Rugby League Football Club Ltd. 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Ferguson, Shawn Dollin and Andrew. "Ben Roberts - Career Stats & Summary - Rugby League Project". www.rugbyleagueproject.org.
- "Players - Love Rugby League".
- "Kiwis select Sonny Bill". Sky Sports. 8 August 2008. Retrieved 8 August 2008.
- "Samoa, Tonga and Fiji name squads". BBC. 8 October 2008. Archived from the original on 13 October 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2008.
- "Eels win race for Roberts".
- Toa Samoa name Four Nations squad. NRL.com. Retrieved on 21 September 2016.
- Toa Samoa name Four Nations squad Archived 3 February 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. Zero Tackle (7 October 2014). Retrieved on 2016-09-21.
- Ben Roberts: Castleford Tigers sign Melbourne Storm playmaker – BBC Sport. Bbc.com (7 July 2014). Retrieved on 2016-09-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Roberts (rugby league).|