Rosenfield at the 2014 Montclair Film Festival
August 1, 1992
Montclair, New Jersey, U.S.
Benjamin "Ben" Rosenfield (born August 1, 1992) is an American actor and musician, perhaps best known for playing Willie Thompson on the fourth and fifth seasons of HBO's period crime drama series Boardwalk Empire (2013–2014). He has starred as Tommie Scheel in the documentary film Teenage (2013), Henry Ellis in the musical drama Song One (2014), Fisher Miller in the teen drama Affluenza (2014), Dan Mercer in the romantic drama 6 Years (2015), and Bertram Flusser in the period drama Indignation (2016). In 2017, he portrayed Sam Colby in the third season of Twin Peaks.
Rosenfield was born and raised in Montclair, New Jersey. His father, Stephen Rosenfield, is a teacher of stand-up comedy and the founder of the American Comedy Institute in New York City. His mother, Katherine Mathilde "Kate" Redway Rosenfield, is an actress. Rosenfield has one younger brother, Nate. He is Jewish, and has said that he "used to be rather religious" despite his family's atheism. His ancestors were from Ukraine, Romania, Denmark, and Scotland.
In 2011, Rosenfield made his stage debut in the Off-Broadway production of the play Through a Glass Darkly, alongside Carey Mulligan and Chris Sarandon. In August of the same year, it was announced that Rosenfield had been cast to co-star as Tim Buckley in the drama film Greetings from Tim Buckley (2012). The film also featured Penn Badgley and Imogen Poots in main roles. The following year, he starred as Tommie Scheel in the documentary film Teenage, and joined the cast of Boardwalk Empire in the recurring role of Willie Thompson, Eli's (Shea Whigham) son. For the fifth and final season, he was promoted to a series regular. Rosenfield then co-starred in the films Jamesy Boy (2014) and Song One (2014), before having his first leading role in the film Affluenza (2014), which also starred Grant Gustin and Nicola Peltz. Also in 2014, Rosenfield appeared in a supporting role in the crime drama A Most Violent Year, opposite Jessica Chastain and Oscar Isaac.
In January 2015, Rosenfield was cast as Woodnut in Jennifer Haley's play The Nether with the MCC Theater, which ran from February 4 to March 15, 2015 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre. Rosenfield then portrayed Dan Mercer in Hannah Fidell's relationship drama film 6 Years, starring opposite Taissa Farmiga. The film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 14, 2015, and was released through video on demand on August 18, 2015.
He next had a supporting role in Woody Allen's comedy-drama Irrational Man, co-starring Joaquin Phoenix and Emma Stone. The film premiered at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival and was released in theaters on July 17, 2015. Rosenfield then co-starred as Bertram Flusser (alongside Logan Lerman) in the drama film Indignation, an adaptation of Philip Roth's 2008 novel of the same name, which premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2016 and was released to theaters on July 29, 2016. Also in 2016, he starred alongside Richard Armitage and Zoe Kazan in the Off-Broadway play Love, Love, Love, from the Roundabout Theatre Company. Rosenfield is part of the ensemble cast of the drama film Person to Person, which premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival. He was also cast as Sam Colby in the Showtime series revival of David Lynch's Twin Peaks.
In 2017, Rosenfield portrayed Alex Holmes in the Off-Broadway premiere of the Simon Stephens play On the Shore of the Wide World. He will next be seen in the comedy film The Long Dumb Road, re-teaming with director Hannah Fidell.
|2010||The Virgins||Boy||Short film|
|2012||Greetings from Tim Buckley||Tim Buckley|
|2013||Louder Than Words||Michael Fareri|
|2013||Passerby||Enoch Rothstein||Short film|
|2014||Jamesy Boy||Chris Cesario|
|2014||Song One||Henry Ellis|
|2014||A Most Violent Year||Sales Student Alex|
|2015||6 Years||Dan Mercer|
|2015||Irrational Man||April's Friend #1|
|2015||Have Had||Adam||Short film; also writer and producer|
|2017||Person to Person||River|
|2018||The Long Dumb Road|
|2013||Live from Lincoln Center||Enoch Snow Jr||Episode: "Carousel"|
|2013–2014||Boardwalk Empire||Willie Thompson||9 episodes|
|2017||Twin Peaks||Sam Colby||2 episodes|
|2011||Through a Glass Darkly||Max||Atlantic Theater Company, Off-Broadway|
|2015||The Nether||Mr. Woodnut||Lucille Lortel Theatre, Off-Broadway|
|2016||Love, Love, Love||Jamie||Roundabout Theatre Company, Off-Broadway|
|2017||On the Shore of the Wide World||Alex Holmes||Atlantic Theater Company, Off-Broadway|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Boardwalk Empire||Nominated|
- Checchini, Kimberly (May 20, 2014). "Montclair Raised Actors Come Home". Montclair Film Festival.
- Brown, Emma (July 16, 2014). "Discovery: Ben Rosenfield". Interview.
- "American Comedy Institute". ComedyInstitute.com.
- "On The Rise: 12 Actors To Watch". Indiewire. August 14, 2014.
- "Mr Ben Rosenfield". Mr Porter. September 2, 2015.
- Goldberg, Reeva (September 6, 2014). "Ben Rosenfield as Tommie Scheel". Teenage.
- Brantley, Ben (June 6, 2011). "Under Pretty Skin, Madness Lurks: Through a Glass Darkly". The New York Times.
- "Tony Winners Norbert Leo Butz and Frank Wood Join Penn Badgley in Greetings from Tim Buckley". Broadway.com. August 22, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (July 25, 2012). "Pair contract for 'Affluenza': Nicola Peltz, Ben Rosenfield join indie cast". Variety.
- "Ben Rosenfield & Sophia Anne Caruso Join Cast of MCC Theater's THE NETHER". Broadway World. January 6, 2015.
- Kilday, Gregg (June 12, 2014). "Taissa Farmiga, Ben Rosenfield Starring in Hannah Fidell's New Feature". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Lattanzio, Ryan (February 4, 2015). "SXSW First Look: Hannah Fidell's '6 Years' Stars Farmiga and Rosenfield as a Couple in Crisis". Indiewire.
- Clement, Olivia (July 13, 2016). "Zoe Kazan, Richard Armitage and Amy Ryan Join Love, Love, Love". Playbill.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (December 3, 2015). "Michael Cera, Abbi Jacobson & Tavi Gevinson Join 'Human People'; 'Big Bear' Wraps With Pablo Schrieber & Adam Brody". Deadline Hollywood.
- Ausiello, Michael (April 25, 2016). "Twin Peaks Revival: Complete Cast List Revealed (and It's Bananas)". TVLine.
- Clement, Olivia (July 26, 2017). "Cast Set for Off-Broadway Premiere of Simon Stephens' On the Shore of the Wide World". Playbill.
- Droz Palermo, Andrew (April 15, 2017). "That's a wrap on feature number 6, and my 3rd with Hannah!..." Instagram. Retrieved April 15, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Rosenfield.|