||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||August 29, 1964|
|Known for||1986 World Champion|
|Home town||Sandy Beach, Hawaii|
|Spouse(s)||Chris Ann Kim (1997 - present)|
In the early 1980s, Severson had been riding the Morey Boogie Mach 7-7, the first slick-bottomed board designed by Tom Morey. In 1984 Severson began experimenting with transitional rails and changing the size of his boards as well. Morey Boogie sent him blanks that he began to customize, in particular to aid surfing in large surf at Pipeline.
By 1986 Severson was becoming recognized as a developer of innovative board designs by the industry and that year was his most successful competitively as he won both the 1986 Morey World Championship and the National Pro/Am. In 1987 Severson signed with bodyboard manufacturer BZ and he soon released his first mass-produced custom board named the BEN T-10. Despite costing USD$305 it became one of the best-selling boards on the market.
In the 1990s he established Ben Severson Designs (BSD) and continues to produce custom boards.
Along with fellow bodyboarder Mike Stewart, Severson pioneered surfing Teahupo'o in the late 1980s. This location has since gone on to become a premier global big-wave surfing destination on the WSL circuit.
- Severson, Ben with Jake Grubb (1986). Bodyboard Handbook. Newport Beach, California: Grubb Stake Media Ltd. ASIN: B000GKJSQ6
- "World Championship Titles". Bodyboard Museum. 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Pye, Owen (2013). Born to Boogie - Legends of Bodyboarding. Page 22. Newquay, UK: Orca Publications. ISBN 978-0-9567893-2-7
- Pye, Owen (2013). Born to Boogie - Legends of Bodyboarding. Page 31. Newquay, UK: Orca Publications. ISBN 978-0-9567893-2-7
- "Bodyboard Museum - Ben Severson". bodyboardmuseum.com.au. 2011-05-05. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "The history of the Teahupoo waves and surf break". Surfertoday.com. 2012-08-19. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "TEAHUPOO, BEFORE IT WAS EVEN TEAHUPOO – Encyclopedia Of Surfing". Encyclopediaofsurfing.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- BSD bodyboards Ben Severson's site and home of BSD
- Bodyboarding Ben Severson Bodyboards available here
- Bodyboarding Community Check out the Ben Severson profile
|This article about an American surfer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|