Ben Taub Hospital
|Ben Taub Hospital|
|Part of Harris Health System|
|Location||Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas, United States|
|Hospital type||General and Teaching Hospital|
|Affiliated university||Baylor College of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|Emergency department||Level I trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Texas|
Ben Taub Hospital is a hospital located in Houston, Texas within the Texas Medical Center. Having opened in May 1963, the hospital is owned and operated by the Harris Health System and is staffed by the faculty, residents, and students from Baylor College of Medicine.
Ben Taub is a Level I trauma center, one of three in Southeast Texas, the others being nearby Memorial Hermann Hospital and University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. Kenneth Mattox, a trauma surgeon named Best Doctor in America five times, is the head of the trauma department. With 586 licensed beds, it is one of the busiest trauma centers in the United States, caring for over 106,000 emergency patients during its last fiscal year (March 1, 2010 to February 28, 2011). Ben Taub is also the only hospital in Houston with a psychiatric emergency room open 24 hours a day. The hospital is named after Ben Taub (1889–1982), a real estate developer and businessman whose extensive behind-the-scenes philanthropic efforts helped transform Houston.
The original Ben Taub hospital opened in May 1963 and was closed when the current Ben Taub opened on January 12, 1990. The hospital district intended to renovate the old Ben Taub and have two new additional hospitals opened, but the hospital district encountered financial difficulties in the 1990s. In 2012, the district announced that it will begin renovating the old Ben Taub for $38 million.
- "Affiliated Hospitals, Baylor College of Medicine". Baylor College of Medicine. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "National Attention Reveals Typical "ER" Day at Ben Taub". Texas Medical Center News. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Scott Gonzales (2009-08-02). "UTMB emergency room reopens after Ike". The Galveston County Daily News. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "History." Harris County Hospital District. May 29, 2010. Retrieved on February 9, 2012.
- Wollam, Allison. "Harris County launches $38M Ben Taub renovation." Houston Business Journal. Friday January 27, 2012. Retrieved on February 9, 2012.
- "A Proud History of Caring for More Than 45 Years." Harris County Hospital District. Retrieved on February 9, 2012.
Harris County Hospital District Fact Sheet, revised 6/30/2010.
- Ben Taub General Hospital via Harris County Hospital District
- DeBakey Department of Surgery Summary Statement on Ben Taub General Hospital