|Born||25 July 1981|
Normanton, West Yorkshire, England
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||16 st 5 lb (104 kg)|
|Position||Wing, Centre, Second-row, Loose forward|
As of 14 October 2018
Ben Westwood (born 25 July 1981) is an English rugby league footballer who plays in the European Super League for the Warrington Wolves (Heritage № 1033) . An England international representative forward, he previously played for the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats before moving to Warrington in 2002. He was part of Warrington's 2009, 2010 and 2012 Challenge Cup winning teams.
He began his career at local team Normanton Knights, before being scouted for Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
Westwood spent three seasons with Wakefield Trinity Wildcats between 1999 and 2002.
A talismanic player for Warrington who has been top tackler at the club for the past two seasons and top tackler out of marker for the past three, Westwood was Warrington's Players' Player of the Year and Fans' Player of the Year in 2007. A conversion from the centres to the pack at the start of 2005 transformed his career and pushed him to the verge of international honours.
He also enjoyed a good year in 2011 despite injuries, when the Wire topped the league table.
He was a substitute for Yorkshire against Lancashire in the second game of the expanded County of Origin series in 2002.
He won a call up to the Great Britain standby squad for the 2006 Tri-Nations.
In 2011 Westwood has established himself within the elite England squad and featured in all of England's 2011 Four Nations matches. The tournament earned him the reputation of a hard-working and aggressive back-rower who thrives on intensity.
He was named in the England squad for the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.
- Stott, Julie (6 October 2010). "England Four Nations Pen Pics". News of the World. England: News Group Newspapers Ltd. Archived from the original on 9 October 2010. Retrieved 6 October 2010.
- "Ben Westwood". englandrl.co.uk. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Our England Our Team England Rugby League - The Official Website". web page. The Rugby Football League Limited. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Profile at loverugbyleague.com". loverugbyleague.com. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl.co.uk. 31 December 2017. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Super Bennie Westwood agrees new deal with the Wolves". Warrington Woldwide. 18 May 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "2008 engage Super League Dream Team". Super League. 15 September 2008. Archived from the original on 18 September 2008. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "Leeds 6-30 Warrington". BBC. 28 August 2010. Archived from the original on 27 August 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "A timeline of Ben Westwood's highlights in a Warrington Wolves shirt". Warrington Guardian. 17 August 2017. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- "Myler gets England call". England Rugby League. 29 September 2008. Archived from the original on 7 October 2008. Retrieved 3 October 2008.
- "Purdham earns World Cup call-up". BBC. 7 October 2008. Archived from the original on 9 October 2008. Retrieved 7 October 2008.