25 July 1981 |
NormantonWest Yorkshire, England
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||16 st 5 lb (104 kg)|
As of 1 October 2013
Ben Westwood (born 25 July 1981) is an English professional rugby league footballer for Warrington of Europe's Super League. An England international representative forward, he previously played for Wakefield Trinity before moving to Warrington in 2002. He was part of Warrington's 2009, 2010 and 2012 Challenge Cup winning teams.
A talismanic player for Warrington who has been top tackler at the club for the past two seasons and top tackler out of marker for the past three, Westwood was Warrington's Players' Player of the Year and Fans' Player of the Year in 2007. A conversion from the centres to the pack at the start of 2005 transformed his career and has pushed him to the verge of international honours, winning a call up to the Great Britain standby squad for the 2006 Tri-Nations. He began his career at local team Normanton Knights, before being scouted for Trinity.
He was named in the Super League Dream Team for 2008's Super League XIII. In September 2008 he was named in the England training squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup, and in October 2008 he was named in the final 24-man England squad.
He also enjoyed a good year in 2011 despite injuries, when the Wire topped the league table. In 2011 Westwood has established himself within the elite England squad and featured in all of England's 2011 Four Nations matches. The tournament earned him the reputation of a hard-working and aggressive back-rower who thrives on intensity.
He was named in the England squad for the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.
- Stott, Julie (6 October 2010). "England Four Nations Pen Pics". News of the World. UK: News Group Newspapers Ltd. Archived from the original on 9 October 2010. Retrieved 6 October 2010.
- "Ben Westwood". englandrl.co.uk. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Our England Our Team England Rugby League - The Official Website". web page. The Rugby Football League Limited. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "2008 engage Super League Dream Team". Super League. 2008-09-15. Archived from the original on 18 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-26.
- "Myler gets England call". England Rugby League. 2008-09-29. Archived from the original on 7 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- "Purdham earns World Cup call-up". BBC. 2008-10-07. Archived from the original on 9 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Leeds 6-30 Warrington". BBC. 2010-08-28. Archived from the original on 27 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-28.