|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
It is a town of immense natural beauty, located along the scenic South Goa coastline. Legend has it that Lord Parashurama, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, shot an arrow from the Sahyadri mountains in adjacent Konkan; the arrow (Baan in Sanskrit) landed at the site of this present-day town.Thus it was known as Banahalli or Banavalli (the village of the arrow) before the advent of the Portuguese. Ancient Banavalli had a magnificent temple dedicated to Shiva and Parvati, known as Katyayani Baneshvar ruins, of which can be still found in the village. The deities were shifted to Aversa in Northern Kanara (modern Uttara Kannada) in the 16th century.
Benaulim is located at  It has an average elevation of 1 meter (3 feet). Benaulim's main market is located at Maria Hall which is about 2 km away from the beach. Benaulim has 2 beaches—Benaulim beach, which is the prime beach, and Vaddi beach, which is less congested and more developed than Benaulim beach..
|Activities||Swimming Fishing, Boat Ride, parasailing, jet skiing, boat ride, wind surfing|
|Lifeguards||YES, on duty|
The best thing about Benaulim beach is that commercialization unlike other beaches has not yet happened even though it is a famous tourist destination. That is the reason this beach is famous among foreign tourists.
This beach is considered safe for swimming. Apart from sunbathing and swimming, there are also options of parasailing, jet skiing, boat ride and wind surfing available on the beach.
There are few shacks on the beach and a few good hotels in the area but you can get some great sea food in there.
As of 2001[update] India census, Benaulim had a population of 10,163. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Benaulim has an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 51% of the males and 49% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Notable people from Benaulim
- Froilano de Mello – Indo-Portuguese microbiologist, medical scientist, professor, author and an independent MP in the Portuguese parliament.
- St. Joseph Vaz – Missionary who worked in Sri Lanka (Ceylon) and Canara (Mangalore)
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Benaulim
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Professor Froilano de Mello, MD (1887-1955): A short biography of his life and achievements – Goacom.com
- Benaulim beach pictures, 2012