Bendel Insurance F.C.
|Full name||Bendel Insurance Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||Vipers, The Benin Arsenal|
|Ground||Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium
Benin City, Nigeria
|Manager||Roland Ewere (Interim)|
|League||Nigeria National League|
Bendel Insurance Football Club, also known as Insurance of Benin Football Club, is a soccer club based in Benin City, Nigeria. They were originally known as the Vipers of Benin. Their venue, Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, has a capacity of some 20,000.
The club was one of the founders of the Nigerian Premier League in 1972. The team had its first month of the 2007–08 season delayed because of a management dispute over who controlled the team. The crisis led to at one time two difference clubs claiming the name Insurance. They were relegated at the end of the 2007–08 season after finishing in last place, the first relegation from the top level in team history.
In August, 2008, the ownership crisis was settled and the Edo State government took control. Thus the name officially reverted to Bendel Insurance Football Club. However the financial problems continued throughout the season. In February 2009 Insurance was banned from using their stadium temporarily because it was not up to league standards. In March, they were one of eight teams threatened with having their participation suspended due to a backlog of debts and fines. Finally, they were exiled to Ilorin for their final home game of the season after crowd trouble in a 1–1 tie against Shooting Stars FC that put an end to their promotion chances.The reason to Bendel Insurance's breakdown was because of the ownership situations.
- 1973, 1979
- 1972, 1978, 1980
- CAF Cup: 1
- 1993, 1994, 1995
Performance in CAF competitions
- African Cup of Champions Clubs: 2 appearances
- CAF Confederation Cup: 1 appearance
- 2005 – Second Round
- CAF Cup: 1 appearance
- 1994 – Champion
- CAF Cup Winners' Cup: 2 appearances
- 1979 – Semi-Finals
- 1982 – Second Round
Current team 2013
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- "Stadiums in Nigeria". World Stadiums. Retrieved 2007-07-15.
- "Insurance FC crisis started since 1995". NIGERIAN TRIBUNE. Archived from the original on 2008-05-27. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "Osunbor summons Ebewele, Ekhosuehi – Insurance crisis latest". NIGERIAN TRIBUNE. Retrieved 2008-01-04.[permanent dead link]
- Insurance, El-Kanemi, others may lose league slots (Nigerian Compass)
- [The situations between the ownership were the reason to the breakdown of Bendel Insurance. "Bendel Insurance breakdown"] Check