The Île de Bendor (pronounced: [il də bendor]) is a French island in the Mediterranean Sea. It is located 300m off the coast from the commune of Bandol, in the Var department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region in south eastern France. It was bought and subsequently developed by the industrialist Paul Ricard in 1950. The island has a surface area of 0.08 km2, with a coastline of 1.5 km. The island is 17m high at its highest point. A frequent daily ferry service runs to the island from Bandol.
The island has a main hotel, the Hotel Delos, five restaurants, an artists village, boutiques, an art gallery and two museums: the Universal Exposition of Wines and Spirits (Exposition Universelle des Vins et Spiritueux, EUVS) and the Museum of Ricard Advertising Objects. The both museums were built by Ricard, admittance is free, but they are open during July and August only.
In 1950 the island was bought by the industrialist Paul Ricard (1909-1997) the founder of Ricard, the pastis manufacturer. At the time of Ricard's purchase the sole inhabitant of the island was a sheep. Ricard also bought the Île des Embiez in 1958, located nearby off the coast of Six-Fours-les-Plages.
Under Ricard's patronage the island became a magnet for the jet set of the 1960s. Visitors to the island included Mireille Darc, Gilbert Bécaud, Salvador Dalí, Melina Mercouri, Marcel Pagnol, Annie Cordy, Fernandel.
A monolith built by Ricard dominates the marina. The monolith is inscribed with the phrase "Nul bien sans peine" ("No pain, no gain") which was Ricard's personal philosophy. Ricard built the monolith in tribute to Pierre Paul Puget, a Provençal sculptor, painter and architect of the 17th century. It was from Puget that Ricard took the motto.
- The island of Embiez, bought by Ricard in 1958.
- Nicola Williams (2010). Lonely Planet Provence & the Côte D'Azur. Lonely Planet. pp. 306–. ISBN 978-1-74059-544-5. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Charles Arnold (1 August 2008). Mediterranean Islands. Survival Books. p. 92. ISBN 978-0-9556489-1-5. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Times and ferry service for the Île de Bendor". Société PAUL RICARD. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Île de Bendor – Practical information". Société PAUL RICARD. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Museums, exhibitions and galleries on Bendor". Société PAUL RICARD. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Paul Ricard 100 ans" (PDF). Société PAUL RICARD. 2009. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Centenaire Paul Ricard, Artiste et mécène" (PDF). Société PAUL RICARD. 2009. Retrieved 30 December 2015.