Beneath Still Waters
|Beneath Still Waters|
Spanish theatrical poster
|Directed by||Brian Yuzna|
|Based on||the novel
by Matthew Costello
|Music by||Zacarías M. de la Riva|
|Edited by||Nicolas Chaudeurge|
Studying under a disciple of Aleister Crowley, the leader of an upper class group invokes a supernatural force that slowly devours the village of Marienbad and its inhabitants, threatening to spread beyond its geographical limits. The mayor from the town nearby commissions the building of a dam which would flood the valley and therefore submerge the village forever sealing the evil force under water after leader and his followers were incapacitated to be kept from escaping. However, fate ensured the leader's freedom as he remained in the depths when the waters covered Marienbad. Now 40 years later an array of disappearances and deaths in mysterious circumstances are threatening the town next to the reservoir that now covers Marienbad.
- Michael McKell as Dan Quarry
- Raquel Meroño as Teresa Borgia
- Charlotte Salt as Clara Borgia
- Patrick Gordon as Mordecai Salas
- Axelle Carolyn as Partygoer
The film premiered on 24 October 2005 as part of the San Sebastián Horror and Fantasy Film Festival, followed with Spain theatrical release on 26 May 2006. It was released on DVD in the US on 9 April 2007.
Steve Barton of Dread Central rated it 1/5 stars and called it a "poorly assembled, laughably bad, absolute waste of time". Annie Riordan of Brutal as Hell rated it 1/5 stars and wrote that the film does not live up to the potentially interesting premise. David Johnson of DVD Verdict wrote that it has good scenes but criticized the overreliance on poor CGI and tedious character development on unlikeable characters. At DVD Talk, Scott Weinberg rated it 2/5 stars, and Paul Mavis rated it 1.5/5 stars; both called it derivative of earlier horror films. Writing in The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia, Volume 2, academic Peter Dendle said, "The human dimensions of the story don't connect well, but the underwater scenes are visually very appealing."
- LA BUTACA - Bajo aguas tranquilas (Beneath still waters)
- Popcorn Pictures Review Archived 19 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Bajo aguas tranquilas (Beneath Still Waters)
- Condit, Jon (9 April 2007). "DVD Release List: Fear the Ball". Dread Central. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Barton, Steve (6 April 2007). "Beneath Still Waters (DVD)". Dread Central. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Riordan, Annie (6 April 2009). "Beneath Still Waters (2005)". Brutal as Hell. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Johnson, David (20 April 2007). "Beneath Still Waters". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 26 February 2007.
- Weinberg, Scott (8 April 2007). "Beneath Still Waters". DVD Talk. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Mavis, Paul (7 April 2007). "Beneath Still Waters". DVD Talk. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Dendle, Peter (2012). The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia, Volume 2: 2000–2010. McFarland & Company. pp. 31–32. ISBN 978-0-7864-6163-9.