||This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Benedict William Kingsbury is Director of the Institute for International Law and Justice at New York University and a leading scholar in international law and diplomacy. He was recently also announced as a faculty instructor for the new NYU Law Institute for Executive Education. Born in Holland and raised in Hamilton, New Zealand he was a Rhodes Scholar in 1982, a commercial law graduate (LLB Honors) from Canterbury University in Christchurch, New Zealand and a doctor of International Relations and Law at Balliol College, Oxford University. He lectured at Oxford University and Duke University prior to his New York University Law School appointment.
A leading academic on the rights of indigenous peoples in international law, his professional interests also include global administrative law, the history and theory of international law, and the international law of global governance.
Kingsbury is married to Vivian Lee, Senior Vice President for Health Sciences at the University of Utah, Dean of the University’s School of Medicine, and CEO of University of Utah Health Care.
- United Nations, Divided World, Chinese edition with fully revised Introductory chapter and appendices, and Foreword by Professor Wang Jisi of Peking University (Beijing: Central Composition and Translation Press, forthcoming) (ed. with Sir Adam Roberts)
- Alberico Gentili's De Armis Romanis (Wars of the Romans) (1599) trans. by David Lupher (Oxford University Press, forthcoming) (ed. with Benjamin Straumann)
- Global Regulatory Governance and the State: India and the Emergence of Global Administrative Law (Oxford University Press, forthcoming) (ed. with Pratap Mehta et al.)
- El Surgimiento del Derecho Administrativo Global: Desafios para America Latina (The New Global Administrative Law: Challenges for Latin America) (Res Publica, forthcoming) (ed. with others)
- Symposium on 'Armed Activities on the Territory of the Congo: Democratic Republic of Congo v. Uganda' (40 NYU Journal of International Law and Politics 1 -217, 2008) (with J.H.H. Weiler)
- Symposium on Global Governance and Global Administrative Law in the International Legal Order (17 European Journal of International Law 1-278, 2006) (ed. with Nico Krisch)
- Indigenous Groups and the Politics of Recognition in Asia: Cases from Japan, Taiwan, West Papua, Bali, the People's Republic of China, and Gilgit (II 1-2 International Journal on Minority and Group Rights 1-228, 2004) (ed. with Kirsty Gover)
- Alberico Gentili e Il Mondo Extraeuropeo: Atti Del Convegno Settima Giornata Gentiliana (Dott. A. Giuffre Editore, 2001)
- Indigenous Peoples of Asia (Association of Asian Studies, 1995) (with R.H. Barnes, Andrew Gray et al.)
- United Nations, Divided World: The UN's Roles in International Relations (Oxford University Press, 1993) (ed. with Sir Adam Roberts)
- The International Politics of the Environment (Oxford University Press, 1992) (with Andrew Hurrell)
- Hugo Grotius and International Relations (Oxford University Press, 1990) (with Hedley Bull, Sir Adam Roberts et al.)
- Benedict Kingsbury at the New York University
- NYU Law launches Institute for Executive Education, NYU Law Institute for Executive Education, New York University School of Law