Wong at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con International
3 July 1971 |
Eccles, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Benedict Wong (born 3 July 1971) is a British actor who is best known for portraying Kublai Khan in Netflix's Marco Polo (2014), Bruce Ng in The Martian (2015), Pete Cheng in the BBC One programme State of Play and ship pilot Ravel in Prometheus (2012). Wong has had an illustrious career not only on film and television, but also on stage as well. He is expected to appear as Wong in Marvel's film adaptation of Doctor Strange (2016).
His first role was in a 1993 BBC Radio play called Kai Mei Sauce, written by Kevin Wong. He appeared alongside Sean Lock in the situation comedy 15 Storeys High, and as Dr. Franklin Fu in the second series of Look Around You.
Wong went on to appear in the second episode of Series 4 of the Channel 4 comedy The IT Crowd, playing the character Prime, a previous Countdown contestant who had won the sixteenth Countdown teapot when he was known as Harold Tong.  Wong also appeared in the movie Shanghai playing the character Juso Kita and the BBC series Spirit Warriors in the role of Li.
In 2013, it was announced that Wong had been cast in the lead role of #aww: The Arrest of Ai WeiWei at the Hampstead Theatre. Shortly after, the Almeida Theatre announced that Wong had joined the cast of new play Chimerica.
|1992||Screenplay||Le Van Dong||Episode: "Small Metal Jacket"|
|1993||Last of the Summer Wine||Chinese Man||Episode: "Aladdin Gets on Your Wick"|
|1994||The Chief||Peng||Episode #4.2|
|Frank Stubbs Promotes||Lee||Episode: "Chinatown"|
|1995||Cardiac Arrest||Radiographer||Episode: "Shallow End"|
|Night Watch||Guard||TV film|
|1996||Pie in the Sky||Michael Cheung||Episode: "Chinese Whispers"|
|Cracker||Peter Yang||Episode: "White Ghost"|
|1997||Supply & Demand||Frankie Li|
|2002||The Bill||DS David Chiu||Episodes: 052, 053, 054, 056, 057|
|15 Storeys High||Errol|
|Look Around You||Chess/draughts player||Episode: "The Brain"|
|2003||State of Play||Pete Cheng||Main Cast|
|2005||Look Around You||Dr Franklin Fu||Episode: "Health"|
|2006||Eleventh Hour||Danny||Episode: "Containment"|
|2007||Frankenstein||Ed Gore||TV film|
|2008||The Peter Serafinowicz Show||Various characters|
|2010||The IT Crowd||Prime||Episode: "The Final Countdown"|
|2010-11||Law & Order: UK||Eli Smart||Episodes: "ID" & "Fault Lines"|
|2011||Covert Affairs||Shen Yue||Episode: "World Leader Pretend"|
|2012||Top Boy Season 2||Vincent|
|2013||The Wrong Mans||Lau|
|Words of Everest||Tenzing Norgay|
|2014||Prey||DS Ashley Chan|
|Marco Polo||Kublai Khan|
|2000||Kiss Kiss (Bang Bang)||Pat Proudence|
|Double Happiness||Dan||Short film|
|2002||Dirty Pretty Things||Guo Yi|
|2005||On a Clear Day||Chan|
|A Cock and Bull Story||Ed|
|Grow Your Own||Kung Sang|
|2008||Largo Winch||William Kwan|
|My Dad the Communist||Dad|
|2010||Shanghai 2010||Juso Kita|
|2011||The Lady||Karma Phuntsho|
|Johnny English Reborn||Chi Han Ly|
|Kick-Ass 2||Mr. Kim|
|2015||The Martian||Bruce Ng|
|1995||The Letter||Ong Chi Seng||Lyric Theatre (Hammersmith)|
|1998||The Merchant of Venice||Solanio||Shakespeare's Globe|
|1998||The Honest Whore||Castruchio||Shakespeare's Globe|
|1999||Julius Caesar||Calphurnia/Lucillius||Shakespeare's Globe|
|1999||Antony and Cleopatra||Menas/Scarus||Shakespeare's Globe|
|2003||In Arabia We'd All Be Kings||Vic/Cop||Hampstead Theatre|
|2009||The Pillowman||Ariel||Curve (theatre)|
|2010||Hungry Ghosts||Zhi-Hui||Orange Tree Theatre|
|2013||#aiww: The Arrest of Ai Weiwei||Ai Weiwei||Hampstead Theatre|
|2013||Chimerica||Zhang Lin||Almeida Theatre|
- Mesure, Susie (28 July 2013). "Benedict Wong: 'I'm the go-to guy for victims of torture'". The Independent. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Midlane, Tom (17 June 2011). "Manchester's Greenroom closes its doors for good". Mancunian Matters. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- O'Neill, Phelim (9 March 2007). "First sight: Benedict Wong". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Kelly, Ann (11 June 2007). "Benedict Wong - Grow Your Own interview". BBC Films. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Benedict Wong discusses playing Prime". Channel 4. Archived from the original on 21 May 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Press Office - Spirit Warriors press pack: introduction". BBC. 21 December 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- K., Cameron (20 February 2012). "Actor Benedict Wong talks about Prometheus". Den of Geek. Dennis Publishing. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Casting announced for #aiww: The Arrest of Ai Weiwei". Hampstead Theatre. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Benedict Wong People". Headlong. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "The Wrong Mans full cast and crew". IMDb.com. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Aroesti, Rachel (13 December 2014). "Benedict Wong: 'Television is reflecting an era that has passed, it's wrong'". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Hughes, Sarah (29 November 2014). "The 'Chinese Game of Thrones': Marco Polo sets sail for Netflix". The Independent. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "The Martian full cast and crew". IMDb. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- Kit, Borys (21 January 2016). "'The Martian' Actor Nabs Key 'Doctor Strange' Role". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Benedict Wong". BIFA. Chapter Media. Retrieved 13 July 2014.[dead link]
- "Vote: Best Dramatic Performance 2013". West End Frame Awards. West End Frame. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benedict Wong.|