Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elevation||738 ft (225 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||430805|
A post office was established at Bengal in 1881, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1902. The community most likely took its name from Bengal, in Asia. In the 1910s, Bengal had its own high school.
Bengal is located at.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bengal, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Shelby County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 65. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...probably was named for the state in India.
- Shelby County, Indiana History & Families. Turner Publishing Company. 1992. p. 57. ISBN 978-1-56311-078-8.
|This Shelby County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|