Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
|ভারতীয় প্রকৌশল বিজ্ঞান এবং প্রযুক্তিবিদ্যা প্রতিষ্ঠান, শিবপুর
भारतीय अभियांत्रिकी विज्ञान एवं प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान, शिवपुर
|Bishop's College, Bengal Engineering College, Bengal Engineering and Science University|
|Motto||उत्तिष्ठित जाग्रत प्राप्य बरान् निबोधत (uttiṣṭhita jāgrata prāpya varān nibodhata) (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|Arise, Awake, Obtaining worthy Teachers, Know the truth|
|Type||Institute of National Importance|
|Director||Dr. Ajoy Kumar Ray|
|Campus||Urban, spread over 300 acres (1.2 km2) on the western bank of Hooghli|
|Alumni||Global Alumni Association of BESU|
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur: commonly abbreviated as IIEST Shibpur, is a premier national institution for research and education in engineering, science and technology, located at Shibpur, in Howrah district, in the state of West Bengal in India. IIEST Shibpur ( BESU earlier ) is one of the top engineering institutes and second oldest engineering institute in the country. It is classified as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India since 2014.
Established in 1856, it was formerly an institution under the state government of West Bengal and known as Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur from 2004 to 2014 and Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur prior to that.
In March 2014, it was elevated to National Status by amending the National Institutes of Technology and Science Education and Research (NITSER) Act, 2007, thus renaming it to IIEST Shibpur and granting it the status of Institutes of National Importance.
The institute offers bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in Engineering and Architecture as well as master's and doctorate degrees in Science and Management in addition to various part-time courses.
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Academics
- 4 Student life
- 5 Ranking
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The institute is located on the western bank of the Hoogli River in Howrah, opposite the city of Kolkata, which is connected by transportation to all the major Indian cities by rail transport and air routes and also by the Golden Quadrangle Road Network. The nearest railway station is Shalimar Station, which is two kilometres from the campus. It is five kilometres from the Howrah Station. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is the main airport which is 30 kilometres from the main gate of the campus. India's largest botanical garden Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden is located beside the institute campus.
Bengal Engineering and Science University owes its origin to Bengal Engineering College. Prompted by the idea of meeting the requirement for trained engineering personnel for the Public Works Department, the Council of Education, Bengal, decided to open Civil Engineering classes and a Professorship in Civil Engineering. A college was established on 24 November 1856 named Calcutta Civil Engineering College, training personnel for the Public Works Department, and located at the Writers' Building, Howrah. With the establishment of Calcutta University on 24 January 1857, the college was affiliated to this university in May 1857. The first degree examination for the Bachelor of Civil Engineering was held in 1864, when two students graduated. In 1865, the college merged with Presidency College, Kolkata and from 1865 to 1869 the college functioned as the Civil Engineering Department of Presidency College. In 1880, the college was shifted to its present campus at Shibpur, Howrah, and was christened the Government College, Howrah, in the premises of Bishop's College. The college became wholly residential from the year 1889. In 1906 Mining Engineering as a discipline was first started in India in this college to meet the requirements of statutory provision in Indian mines. After independence, Dr. B. C. Roy, the then Chief Minister of West Bengal, revamped the department to satisfy the demand for mining professionals, and the Department of Mining & Geology was reborn in 1956. On 12 February 1920 the name was changed to Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur. The word Shibpur was deleted on 24 March 1921 and it became Bengal Engineering College. The Department of Electrical Engineering came into existence as a separate department from 1912. The B.E. degree course was introduced during 1935–36 with the first batch obtaining the degree from Calcutta University in 1936.The inception of the Mechanical Engineering Department may be traced back to 1921 when a diploma course in Mechanical Engineering was started in this Institute. The first degree course in Mechanical Engineering started in July 1930. The Department of Metallurgy started its journey at the Bengal Engineering College in the year 1939 with the introduction of a three-year degree course in Metallurgy under the Calcutta University. The department is the second oldest metallurgy department of the country.
Post Independence Period
After the independence of India in 1947, the Department of Architecture, Town and Regional Planning was started on the recommendation of a committee appointed by Government of West Bengal. Two new courses were started at the same time – one with a five-year degree programme in Architecture another with a two-year part-time diploma programme in Town & Regional Planning. The Department of Architecture, Town and Regional Planning (established in 1949) that offered the First Degree in Architecture and the First Diploma in Town Planning in INDIA. This department has produced more than 800 graduates in Architecture and more than 300 postgraduates in Town Planning in the last fifty years. Its students also founded the National Association of Students of Architecture, briefly designated as NASA India, a non-political, non-profit Student Body Association for the Undergraduate Students of Architecture in India in 1957, with six other colleges. With the end of the Second World War, a 'Committee for the Development of Higher Engineering and Technical Education in Bengal' under the Chairmanship of the Director of Public Instruction recommended two plans – one 'Immediate' and the other 'Five Year Plan' for the college. Under the 'Immediate' plan the committee made recommendations regarding the increase of student strength from 300 to 520, an improved curriculum, better teaching staff, a greater range of degree courses and a close liaison with industry. The objective of the 'Five Year Plan' was to upgrade the college to the status of a modern institution with facilities for postgraduate study and research. A new building was constructed in 1949 and all academic departments were moved to the new building. In 1954, postgraduate courses in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Metallurgical were introduced. A postgraduate certificate course in Naval Architecture was introduced during this period. Doctoral programs were introduced at this time and approved by Calcutta University to enhance research activities in the college. In 1954 an agreement was concluded by the college and the University of Wisconsin, USA, whereby six guest professors from the USA joined the college and in exchange, five teachers from the college went to the USA as Research Associate. This scheme, known as Technical Co-operation Programme of the USA, helped the college in developing laboratories, postgraduate programmes and research facilities. The college celebrated its gala centenary function inaugurated by Dr. B.C. Roy on 25 December 1956, and the concluding session was attended by Pandit Jawarlal Nehru on 14 January 1957. The Department of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering started functioning as a separate discipline of engineering in July 1968. The college started its first Computer Centre in 1976 and a Microprocessor Laboratory in 1979. The 125th Anniversary of the college was celebrated on 11 December 1981, with inauguration by Sri N. Sanjiva Reddy, the then President of India. The Department of Computer Science and Technology was established in 1982. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate engineering courses. The department started offering the Master of Engineering courses in 1988 and Master of Computer Applications courses in 1991. The college was selected as a participating institute under the World Bank EIDP Project and an endowment for Rs. 200,000,000 was received for upgrading the teaching facilities and laboratories in the Electronics and Computer Science Departments. In recognition of its service to the nation, the college was elevated to the status of a Deemed University in 1992, breaking its ties with the Calcutta University by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India on the recommendation of a UGC Expert Committee. Formal inauguration was done on 13 March 1993, by the then President of India, Shankar Dayal Sharma.  School of Management Sciences (SMOS) and School of Information Technology were established in 1998 and 2000 respectively. It is the second youngest of the ten engineering departments in BESU. The School of Material Science and Technology (2001), School of Community Science and Technology (2002) were introduced. On 1 October 2004 the institution was elevated to a full-fledged university with the present name. It was formally inaugurated by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the President of India, on 13 July 2005. In 2010 Department of Aerospace Engineering started along with the Applied Mechanics department.
In March 2014, it was upgraded to the status of Institutes of National Importance under the banner of Indian Institutes of Engineering Science and Technology, thus renaming it IIEST Shibpur.
In June 2014, IIEST Shibpur was selected as the Mentor Institute for IIIT Kalyani, the eleventh addition to the Indian Institute of Information Technology(IIIT) family of engineering institutes. It was inaugurated by the President of India on 24 August 2014.
- Purabi Das School of Information Technology
- School of Material Science & Engineering
- School of Management Science
- School of Community Science & Technology
- School of Disaster Mitigation Engineering
- School of Ecology, Infrastructure & Human Settlement Management
- School of Mechatronics & Robotics
- School of Safety & Occupational Health Engineering
- School of VLSI Technology
- Research & Consultancy
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Career Counselling
The area of the library is 3,000 square meters and it is open from 8.00 am to 9.00 pm (Mondays to Fridays) and 10.00 am to 6.30 pm (Saturdays and Sundays). The library has hardware and integrated library management software, LIBSYS-4. The library provides online search facilities (OPAC) of its database from any computer connected to the Internet through WebOPAC and four nodes installed in the library dedicated for the users. The library is connected with the local area network (LAN) of the University and provides e-mail and Internet browsing facilities to the users of the library. The collection of books is about 132,000 and 40,000 bound volumes of journals, and a collection of documents, such as patents, standards, technical reports and pamphlets. The library has old and rare books and journals of the nineteenth century. The library is a member of the Indian National Digital Library in Engineering Science and Technology (INDEST) and UGC-INFONET Digital Library consortium of Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) Centre.
Admission to this institute is through the highly competitive Joint Entrance Examination for the five-year integrated B.Tech-M.Tech (Bachelor of Technology, Master of Technology) dual degree and six-year integrated B.Arch-M.Arch (Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture) dual degree courses at IIEST Shibpur. Admission to postgraduate programmes is made through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE). Other postgraduate entrance exams include the Management Aptitude Test (MAT) and the Common Admission Test (CAT) for management studies. For the master's degree in the applied science branches the university conducts its own examination and interview.
Halls of Residence
Major number of students stay on campus hostels and halls. Many students also prefer to stay off campus. First and second years students stay in the hostels and sharing room with other fellow students is mandatory. third years students get the options to stay either in single room accommodation (Hall) or can share room with other fellow. All final years students need to stay in the halls.
Extra curricular activities are the integral part of student life in the campus. IIEST participates in the state-level soccer competition and cricket competition. Students from IIEST have won national and state-level badminton championships.
List of available facilities
- Basketball ground
- Badminton Courts
- Grounds attached to every Halls of Residence
- Oval Ground [equipped for cricket]
- Lords Ground [made for soccer]
- Swimming Pool
- Boxing Ring
- Indoor Game Facilities (Table-Tennis, Carom, etc) for each Hostels & Halls
- Full campus is wi-fi enabled
Student's Clubs and Societies
|SOCCE(Society of Civil Engineers)||Aeromodelling Club||Music Club (Euphony)|
|IIEST NASA India Unit (IIEST Unit participating in the National Association of Students of Architecture Conventions)||Robotics Club||Drama Club (Les Thespians)|
|SSAT(Students' Society of Architecture and Town Planning)||Quizmaniac BEings (Quiz club)||Debate Club (DEBSOC)|
|COENSOBEC(Computer Engineers' Society of B.E.College||CodeIIEST (Programming Club)|
|SSM(Society of Student Metallurgists)||-|
Festivals and Events
The Annual Cultural Festival and Re-Union – REunion and B.E.College Annuals
This is the main annual institute social that is run every year towards the end of March or beginning of April. It is a four-day-long saga which captures the vibrancy of engineering-college life and provides a platform for the students (primarily the 1600 strong undergraduate population) to showcase their talents. Universities and institutes from all over the country are invited to participate in the events that are spread over four days. The last day falls on a Sunday and is demarcated as the main day-of-reunion, when alumni of BESUS/B.E.College relive their college days.
This is the Oldest Cultural Fest in India and it completed 75 years in 2013. This is also the biggest Fest at Kolkata-area and one of the biggest of its kind in India.
Instruo is the Annual Techno-Management fest. From the year 2009, Instruo has become one of the Largest Techno-Management fest of the nation. Instruo is about promoting scientific temper through the various technical competitions it hosts. Instruo organises several events ranging from Robotics, Junkyard Wars, iCode to newly added events such as Droid-X and Civilization. Workshops are also conducted throughout the year so as to help the participants gain hand-on experience and enhance their technical skills. Instruo also undertakes social initiatives in association with CRY, one of the foremost NGO of the country. Apart from all this, Instruo also organises exhibitions and guest lectures by eminent personalities from all across the globe. Renowned organisations like IEEE, MHRD and IBM certify numerous events of the fest.
Instruo launched the 1st edition of its Annual Technical Magazine "BEgyan" in 2012. The magazine comprises research works done by the students of the University as well as some notable work done in the area of science and technology by certain eminent personalities.
Instruo 2014, held from 21 to 23 March 2014 was Kolkata's Largest Techno-Management Fest.
There are various other events happening at the Campus. Some of these are :
- The Annual NASA Convention - National Level Architectural Students' Convention
- ZoNASA - The Zonal Level Architectural Students' Convention
- Scintillation – The Annual Entrepreneurship Development Cell Festival on Entrepreneurship
- Initium – Technical Festival of Department of Mining Engineering
- Metallum – Technical Festival of Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Udbhavani - Technical Festival of Department of Civil Engineering
Engineering programs are highly ranked by the largest community of Indian professionals, Silicon India.
- Outlook 2013: 12th ; Link
- The Week 2013: 11th ; Link
- Mint(Government): 9th ; Link
- Careers360 2014(public institutions): 9th ; Link
- Edu-Rand Rankings(2015): 13th ; 
- India Today 2005 : 10th
An initiative by National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources, Govt. of India, New Delhi to rank the research performance of Indian engineering and technological institutes in the country during 1999-2008, puts IIEST within top 13 nationally.
IIEST Shibpur also Topped the list of the Institutionsa ahead of ITBHU and Jadavpur University for conversion to IIT / IIEST. In fact, IIEST Shibpur now stands as the only institute to have been granted IIEST status.
- Sir Biren MukherjeeEminent Industrialist Chairman Indian Iron & Steel Co.Ltd.
- Dr.Bimal Kumar Bose World Leader in Power Electronics USA Advisor GE USA Distinguished Emeritus Professor University of Tennessee USA
- Dr.Fazlur Rahman Khan USA. Known Worldwide as Einstein of Structural Engineering Designed Sears Tower USA the Tallest Tower in USA at that point of time
- Sir Rajen Mookerjee, Founder of Martin Burn & Co, Founder of IISCO.
- Dr.Kajal Gupta Chief Technologist NASA USA
- Mr.A.Sen Chairman Damodar Valley Corporation( DVC ) Govt.of India Undertaking
- Mr.B.C.Ganguly Ex Chairman Railway Board.New Delhi
- Amrit Das Founder & CEO Net Guru Inc., USA, Research Engineers Inc.USA
- Dr.Tapas Shome Worldwide Distinguished Engineer IBM USA
- Dr.S. Chakraborty Founder Chairman CES India, New Delhi
- Dr. Tapas Das, Intl. Fellow, NichidaiCorp., Japan, 2002, Who's Who in Eng., USA, 2003.
- Dr.Chaitanyamoy Ganguly Chairman,Neucear Fuel Complex, Govt.of India
- Mr.T. Roy Chief Engineer Metro Railway Calcutta
- Mr.S.Ghosh Dastidar General Manager Western Railway Member Railway Board
- Dr Bimal Kumar Bose, Emeritus Professor University of Tennessee USA and World Leader in Power Electronics.
- Dr. Amitabha Ghosh Director IIT Kharagpur
- Dr. S.Sen Vice Chancellor Jadavpur University Ex Power Minister West Bengal
- Dr. Indranil Manna Director IIT Kanpur
- Dr. Gautam Biswas Director IIT Guwahati
- Dr. Nihar Biswas Dean University of Windsor Canada
- Dr. Jyoti Mazumder Distinguished Professor University of Michigan USA
- Dr. Gautam Dasgupta Distinguished Professor Columbia University USA
- Dr. Promode Bandyopadhyay Distinguished Scientist Naval Undersea Warfare Center USA
Writers, artists and musicians
- Pradip Chatterjee, founder-member of "Mohiner Ghoraguli"
- Arunendu Das, pioneer of late 20th century alternative Bengali song-writing
- Pandit Budhadeb Dasgupta, Sorod Player and Chief Engineer CESC Ltd Awarded "Padma Bhushan" by Govt. of India.
- Binoy Majumdar, poet, writer of "Fire Eso Chaka". Academy Award Winner in 2005.
- Narayan Sanyal, Novelist, Academy Award Winner and writer of "Satyakam"(filmed in Hindi) "Dandak Sabari" etc.
- Badal Sarkar, Director Indian Academy Award Winner, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award winner and Padma Shri awardee in 1972.
- Jatindranath Sengupta, poet and writer
- "Bengal Engineering And Science University, Shibpur – History". becs.ac.in. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Bengal Engineering And Science University, Shibpur – The University". becs.ac.in. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- http://www.becs.ac.in/soms_course.html[dead link]
- http://www.niscair.res.in/. Missing or empty
- (PDF) http://alumni.iisc.ernet.in/iisc_ranks_1.pdf. Missing or empty
- http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=66289. Missing or empty
- http://mookerjeesofbengal.4t.com/rajen.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.eecs.utk.edu/people/faculty/bbose. Missing or empty
- http://www.buddhadevdasgupta.com/Profile.htm. Missing or empty
- http://books.google.com/books/about/NARAYAN_SANYAL.html?id=Su1MLgEACAAJ. Missing or empty
- http://www.indiaprofile.com/people/badalsircar.htm. Missing or empty
- "BANGLAPEDIA: Sengupta,".
- http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Pool/6373/troy.html&date=2009-10-25+07:00:39. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur.|
- Official website
- West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board
- Official alumni organisation
- REBECA official website
- INSTRUO official website