Benja in action for Girona in 2012
|Full name||Benjamín Martínez Martínez|
|Date of birth||23 August 1987|
|Place of birth||Sant Cugat del Vallès, Spain|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|2006–2008||→ Europa (loan)||64||(16)|
|2008||→ Reus (loan)||18||(8)|
|2015||→ Sabadell (loan)||14||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22 October 2017.
Born in Sant Cugat del Vallès, Barcelona, Catalonia, Benja concluded his youth development at CF Damm before joining RCD Espanyol B in 2006, spending his tenure on loan at CE Europa. Two years later he joined another reserve team, FC Barcelona B, and after a loan at CF Reus Deportiu he scored eight goals in 26 games in his first season as they won promotion from Segunda División B, including a hat-trick in a 3–3 away draw against Polideportivo Ejido in the first leg of the play-off first round.
On 14 July 2011, Benja transferred to Segunda División side Girona FC, totalling 14 goals in 53 competitive matches over the next two campaigns, two of those coming in the first 11 minutes of a 3–1 home win over Sporting de Gijón on 29 September 2012. The following 24 February he suffered a serious left knee injury against Córdoba CF, but he nonetheless agreed to sign for this club on 27 June; the deal was frozen until his recovery.
After terminating his contract in January 2014, Benja joined another second level team, UD Las Palmas, on the anniversary of his injury. The following 7 January he returned to his native region once more, after being loaned to CE Sabadell FC for the rest of the campaign, which ended in relegation.
On 27 July 2016, after suffering the same fate with UE Llagostera, Benja dropped into division three for the first time in six years, moving to Cultural y Deportiva Leonesa. Roughly one year later, after scoring a career-best 25 goals – 26 across all competitions – to help the club return to the second tier after 42 years, the 30-year-old joined Elche CF.
- Cultural Leonesa
- "Poli Ejido y Barça B disputaron una segunda parte de locura" [Poli Ejido y Barça B contested a crazy second half]. Marca (in Spanish). 17 May 2010. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "El Girona ficha a Benja y Juanlu" [Girona sign Benja and Juanlu]. Marca (in Spanish). 14 July 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "El Girona sentencia al Sporting por la vía rápida" [Girona sentence Sporting in double-quick time]. Marca (in Spanish). 29 September 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Benja, un fichaje en el limbo" [Benja, a signing in limbo]. ABC (in Spanish). 28 September 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Las Palmas presenta a Benja como su nuevo delantero" [Las Palmas present Benja as their new forward]. Marca (in Spanish). 24 February 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Benja se marcha cedido al Sabadell" [Benja goes on loan to Sabadell] (in Spanish). UD Las Palmas. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Benja, nuevo fichaje de la Cultural Leonesa" [Benja, new signing for Cultural Leonesa] (in Spanish). Be Soccer. 27 July 2016. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "La Cultural cambia los rostros del gol" [Cultural change the faces of goal]. Marca (in Spanish). 11 July 2017. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "OFICIAL | Benja, refuerzo para el Elche C.F" [OFFICIAL | Benja, Elche C.F. addition] (in Spanish). Elche CF. 7 July 2017. Retrieved 24 July 2017.