Benjamin Biolay, concert at the Casino de Paris, Paris (2011)
|Born||20 January 1973|
(m. 2002; div. 2005)
Vanessa Paradis (2012–15) |
Anna Mouglalis (2015–16)
Benjamin Biolay (French pronunciation: [bɛ̃.ʒa.mɛ̃ bjo.lɛ]; born 20 January 1973) is a French singer, songwriter, musician, actor and record producer. He is the brother of singer Coralie Clément, whose two albums he wrote and produced, and the ex-husband of Chiara Mastroianni, the daughter of Catherine Deneuve and Marcello Mastroianni.
His low-key vocal style is somewhat similar to French pop star Étienne Daho. With the singer Keren Ann, whose first two albums he co-wrote and produced, he contributed several songs to Chambre avec Vue, the successful comeback album of singer Henri Salvador, and has since worked as a writer, arranger or producer for other icons of French music, including Juliette Gréco, Julien Clerc, Françoise Hardy and Vanessa Paradis.
He wrote or performed most of the songs on the 2004 soundtrack to Clara et Moi by Arnaud Viard, and released the album Home with his wife the same year. After two more rock oriented albums in 2005 and 2007 he was dropped by his record company and began working on his first independent release, La Superbe, released on Naïve records in 2009. This was followed by the soundtrack album Pourquoi tu pleures in 2011 and Vengeance in 2012.
Benjamin was married to actress and singer Chiara Mastroianni from 2002 to 2005; they have a daughter, Anna, born 22 April 2003.
In 2012 Biolay was introduced to singer and actress Vanessa Paradis by designer Karl Lagerfeld. They were in a relationship from 2013 to May 2015, and recorded a duet, Profite ("Enjoy"), on his album Vengeance.
As of June 2015, he is rumoured to be dating French actress Anna Mouglalis.
- Solo studio albums
|2011||Pourquoi tu pleures?||38||–||54||–||–||–|
- Joint albums
(with Chiara Mastroianni)
- Compilation albums
|Year||EP title||Peak positions|
|2001||Benjamin Biolay Remix EP||–|
|2004||Clara et Moi||163|
|2008||"Qu'est ce que ça peut faire?"||–||–||14|
|"Si tu suis mon regard"||–||–||32|
|"Pas la forme"||–||–||25|
|2012||"Aime mon amour"||60||39||–|
(feat. Vanessa Paradis)
|"Ne regrette rien"
|2014||"Ton héritage" (rerelease)||80||–||–|
|"Pas besoin de permis"
(with Vanessa Paradis)
(with Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas)
|2003||"L'hymne à l'amour"
(Aznavour, Boulay, Eicher, Biolay, Macias,
Maurane, Foly, Fontaine, Mami, Leroy,
Pagny & Badi)
Other charted songs
|2017||"Retiens la nuit"||80
|On a tous quelque chose de Johnny|
|2008||Stella||Stella's father||Nominated—César Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2010||The Pack||The Spack's son|
|2013||Under the Rainbow||Maxime Wolf|
|2014||The Easy Way Out||Gérard|
|2015||The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun||Michel Caravaille|
|Fleur de tonnerre||Mathieu Verron|
|2017||Number One||Marc Ronsin|
- "Vanessa Paradis photographed for the first time with French pop singer boyfriend Benjamin Biolay as they say goodbye at LAX," Daily Mail, April 18, 2014
- "Be My Baby: Vanessa Paradis shines as she performs for boyfriend French singer Benjamin Biolay," Daily Mail, July 1, 2014
- "Benjamin Biolay discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Benjamin Biolay discography". ultratop.be/nl/. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Benjamin Biolay discography". ultratop.be/fr/. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Benjamin Biolay discography" (in German). Media Control Charts. Charts.de. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Benjamin Biolay discography". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Albums – SNEP (Week 21, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés - SNEP (Week 21, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés – SNEP (Week 47, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benjamin Biolay.|