|Benjamin Castleman, M.D.|
May 17, 1906|
|Died||June 29, 1982
|Fields||Medicine & Pathology|
|Alma mater||Harvard University (B.A.) & Yale University School of Medicine (M.D.)|
|Known for||Research in Pathology|
|Influences||Frank Burr Mallory|
Benjamin Castleman (born May 17, 1906, Everett, Massachusetts; died June 29, 1982, Boston, Massachusetts) was an American physician and pathologist best known for describing Castleman's disease (angiofollicular lymphoid hyperplasia), which is named after him. He was also one of the authors of the first case series on pulmonary alveolar proteinosis in a 1958 article in the New England Journal of Medicine (Rosen-Castleman-Liebow syndrome is a rarely used term for that condition). Castleman undertook clinicopathologic investigations of parathyroid disease and wrote several important papers on diseases of the thymus and mediastinum. He authored or co-authored over 100 scholarly papers on a variety of disorders.
Castleman was educated at Harvard University (B.A., 1927) and Yale University (M.D., 1931). He worked for many years at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, serving as chief of the division of anatomic pathology there, and he held the rank of Professor of Pathology in the Harvard Medical School. Dr. Castleman was an editor of the clinicopathological case presentation series in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The Benjamin Castleman Award has been given annually since 1982 to the first author of an English-language research article that is considered the most worthy in the field of human pathology. It is administered by the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology.
- synd/3017 at Who Named It?
- Castleman B, Towne VW (June 1954). "Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital: Case No. 40231". N. Engl. J. Med. 250 (23): 1001–5. doi:10.1056/NEJM195406102502308. PMID 13165944.
- Castleman B, Iverson L, Menendez VP (1956). "Localized mediastinal lymphnode hyperplasia resembling thymoma". Cancer. 9 (4): 822–30. doi:10.1002/1097-0142(195607/08)9:4<822::AID-CNCR2820090430>3.0.CO;2-4. PMID 13356266.
- Rosen SH, Castleman B, Liebow AA (June 1958). "Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis". N. Engl. J. Med. 258 (23): 1123–42. doi:10.1056/NEJM195806052582301. PMID 13552931.
- Castleman B, Towne VW (September 1954). "Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital; weekly clinicopathological exercises; founded by Richard C. Cabot". N. Engl. J. Med. 251 (10): 396–400. doi:10.1056/NEJM195409022511008. PMID 13194083.
- Awards Archived July 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. of the USCAP.