|Residence||Elmwood, Jockey Road, Sutton Coldfield|
Benjamin Creswick (1853–1946) was an English sculptor.
Benjamin Creswick was born in Sheffield, the son of a spectacle-maker. He started his working life as a knife-grinder, but took up sculpture with the encouragement of John Ruskin. In 1887 he modelled a terracotta frieze showing the processes of knife-grinding for the exterior of Cutlers' Hall, in Warwick Lane in the City of London. In the same year he made a frieze for Henry Heath's shop in Oxford Street, London, showing hat-makers at work.
Creswick worked on various projects with A.H. Mackmurdo, such as the decoration of Pownall Hall in Cheshire, and contributed to the display by Mackmurdo's Century Guild at the Inventions Exhibition in 1885, though he did not join the guild until the following year.
He spent some time in Liverpool and Manchester, before moving to Birmingham, where he was Master of Modelling and Modelled Design at the Birmingham School of Art from 1889 to 1918. He exhibited at the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists in 1914 and was responsible for a number of architectural sculptures, which can still be seen on Birmingham buildings.
He lived at a house called Elmwood, in Jockey Road, Sutton Coldfield.
- Boldmere Swimming Club memorial (1921) - now inside the swimming baths entrance of Wyndley Leisure Centre in Birmingham
- Bust of John Ruskin
- Carved figures on the choirstalls, Wallasey Memorial Unitarian Church, Merseyside
- Terracotta frieze on the facade of Cutlers Hall, Warwick Lane, London (1887)
- Portrait Roundel of Thomas Carlyle outside Carlyle's House, Cheyne Row, Chelsea
- Capitals of Bachelor's Staircase columns at Beaucastle
- "Benjamin Creswick". Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- http://www.ruskinatwalkley.org/object.php?hotspots=on&room=2&object=15 Retrieved 14 April 2011
- Ward-Jackson, Philip. Public sculpture of the city of London, 2003, p.430
- Historic England. "Details from image database (422463)". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Details from image database (414633)". Images of England.
- The Century Guild
- Boldmere Swimming Club memorial
- Bust of John Ruskin
- Unitarian Church, Wallasey, Merseyside
- The Life and Works of Benjamin Creswick
|This article about a British sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|