Benjamin Francis Leftwich
|Benjamin Francis Leftwich|
Performing at Jersey Live in 2011.
|Born||4 September 1989|
|Genres||Indie, Acoustic, Folk|
|Instruments||vocals, guitar, piano|
Benjamin Francis Leftwich (born 4 September 1989) is an English singer-songwriter from York. Leftwich released his first album 'Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm' in 2011 which peaked at #35 on the UK charts. In February 2016 he announced his next album 'After the Rain' on his Facebook page, set to release on 19 August 2016.
Leftwich began playing at the age of ten and grew up listening to The Rolling Stones and Nina Simone; later discovering Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, and Elliott Smith. He cites Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams, and Bruce Springsteen as inspirations.
Life and career
Leftwich's debut album, the Ian Grimble-produced Last Smoke Before The Snowstorm, was released in July 2011. The Fly called it "a majestic debut" whilst The Sunday Times cited Leftwich as "a serious new talent". The Skinny, while the Sunday Express called it "lovely". Hazel Sheffield, writing in The Guardian, gave it a 3/5 rating, as did David Pollock, writing for The Scotsman, who drew comparisons to Damien Rice and José González. Leftwich's "Shine" was named Spotify's most addictive track of 2014, the most repeat played song of the year. In 2015, Benjamin Francis Leftwich co-wrote "Grow" with British artist Frances which featured in the Amazon UK TV advert. In 2013 Leftwhich lost his father to cancer.
|Album Title||Album details||Chart positions|
|Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm||
|After The Rain||
|Album Title||Album details|
|A Million Miles Out||
|In the Open||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2011||"Box of Stones"||195||Last Smoke Before
- "Benjamin Francis Leftwich reveals album inspirations", BBC, 30 June 2011, retrieved 2011-07-06
- Buckle, Chris (2011) "Benjamin Francis Leftwich – Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm", The Skinny, 27 June 2011, retrieved 2011-07-06
- Heathcote, Charlotte (2011) "ALBUM REVIEW - BENJAMIN FRANCIS LEFTWICH: LAST SMOKE BEFORE THE SNOW STORM (DIRTY HIT)", Sunday Express, 3 July 2011, retrieved 2011-07-06
- Sheffield, Hazel (2011) "Benjamin Francis Leftwich: Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm – review", The Guardian, 30 June 2011, retrieved 2011-07-06
- Pollock, David (2011) "Album review: Benjamin Francis Leftwich: Last smoke before the snowstorm", The Scotsman, 5 July 2011, retrieved 2011-07-07
- "Spotify Year In Music". www.spotify-yearinmusic.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.