Benjamin K. Sovacool
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Benjamin K. Sovacool|
Benjamin K. Sovacool, May 2010
|Alma mater||Virginia Tech|
|Awards||Dedication to Diversity and Justice Award (2015)|
Benjamin K. Sovacool is director of the Danish Center for Energy Technology at the Department of Business Technology and Development and a professor of social sciences at Aarhus University. He is also professor of energy policy at the University of Sussex, where he directs both the Center on Innovation and Energy Demand, one of six End Use Energy Demand Centres in the United Kingdom, and the Sussex Energy Group. His research interests include energy policy, environmental issues, and science and technology policy. He is the author or editor of eighteen books and 300 peer-reviewed academic articles and chapters and has written opinion editorials for the Wall Street Journal and the San Francisco Chronicle. Sovacool is editor-in-chief of Energy Research & Social Science, which explores the interactions between energy systems and society.
- 2006—Ph.D., Science and Technology Studies, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA
- 2005—M.S./Graduate Certificates, Science Policy, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA
- 2003—M.A., Rhetoric, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
- 2001—B.A., Philosophy and Communication Studies, John Carroll University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Sovacool is Director of the Center for Energy Technology and professor of business and social sciences at Aarhus University in Denmark. He is also Professor of Energy Policy at the University of Sussex in the United Kingdom. He was formerly associate professor at Vermont Law School and founding director of the Energy Security & Justice Program. This was located within the Institute for Energy and Environment, which aims to "expand global access to sustainable energy and craft national energy policies that adapt to climate change without worsening socioeconomic inequality". The program, in cooperation with the MacArthur Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Asia Research Institute, and the National University of Singapore, has published a series of case studies examining energy security in Asia. Sovacool lectures on energy security, alternative and renewable energy, environmental economics, and energy policy.
Sovacool is a Lead Author to the next Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) on "Mitigation and development pathways in the near-to mid-term". He also served in 2012 as an Erasmus Mundus Visiting Scholar at Central European University in Hungary. He has often consulted for the Asian Development Bank, United Nations Development Program, and United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. He was awarded the Dedication to Diversity and Justice Award from the American Bar Association in 2015.
Sovacool's main area of interest is energy policy. At the National University of Singapore, he led research projects supported by the MacArthur Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation about improving energy security for impoverished rural Asian communities.
In 2007, Sovacool co-edited Energy and American Society: Thirteen Myths. In 2008, he wrote The Dirty Energy Dilemma: What’s Blocking Clean Power in the United States which was published by Praeger and won a 2009 Nautilus Book Award.
In Contesting the Future of Nuclear Power (2011) Sovacool says, following a detailed analysis, that there is a "consensus among a broad base of independent, nonpartisan experts that nuclear power plants are a poor choice for producing electricity", and that "energy efficiency programs and renewable power technologies are better than nuclear power plants".
List of books:
- Sovacool, BK and MA Brown (Eds.) Energy and American Society: Thirteen Myths (New York: Springer, 2007), xi + 340 pp.
- Sovacool, BK. The Dirty Energy Dilemma: What’s Blocking Clean Power in the United States (Westport, CT: Praeger, 2008), xvii + 294 pp.
- Mendonça, M, D Jacobs, and BK Sovacool. Powering the Green Economy: The Feed-In Tariff Handbook, (London: Earthscan, 2009), xxxi + 197 pp.
- Sovacool, BK (Ed.) Routledge Handbook of Energy Security (London: Routledge, 2010), xviii + 436 pp.
- Sovacool, BK. Contesting the Future of Nuclear Power: A Critical Global Assessment of Atomic Energy (London: World Scientific, 2011), vii + 296 pp.
- Brown, MA and BK Sovacool. Climate Change and Global Energy Security: Technology and Policy Options (Cambridge: MIT Press, 2011), x + 416 pp.
- Sovacool, BK and SV Valentine. The National Politics of Nuclear Power: Economics, Security, and Governance (London: Routledge, 2012), xx + 292 pp.
- Sovacool, BK and IM Drupady. Energy Access, Poverty, and Development: The Governance of Small-Scale Renewable Energy in Developing Asia (New York: Ashgate, 2012), xxii + 306 pp.
- Sovacool, BK and CJ Cooper. The Governance of Energy Megaprojects: Politics, Hubris, and Energy Security (London: Edward Elgar, 2013), vii + 272 pp.
- Sovacool, BK. Energy & Ethics: Justice and the Global Energy Challenge (New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2013), xxii + 278 pp.
- Sovacool, BK, R Sidortsov, and B Jones. Energy Security, Equality and Justice (London: Routledge, 2013).
- Halff, Antoine, J Rozhon and BK Sovacool (Eds.). Energy Poverty: Global Challenges and Local Solutions (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- Sovacool, BK and MH Dworkin. Global Energy Justice: Principles, Problems, and Practices (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014).
- Sovacool, BK (Ed.). Energy Security (London: Sage, Six Volumes, 2014).
- Sovacool, BK (Ed.). Energy, Poverty, and Development (London: Routledge Critical Concepts in Development Studies Series, Four Volumes, 2014).
- Sovacool, BK and BO Linnér. The Political Economy of Climate Change Adaptation (Basingstoke UK/New York USA: Palgrave Macmillan and the Nature Publishing Group, 2015), xi + 226 pp.
- Sovacool, BK, MA Brown, and SV Valentine. Fact and Fiction in Global Energy Policy: Fifteen Contentious Questions (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2016).
- Van de Graaf, T, BK Sovacool, F Kern, A Ghosh, and MT Klare (Eds.). The Palgrave Handbook of the International Political Economy of Energy (Basingstoke UK/New York USA: Palgrave Macmillan Handbooks in International Political Economy Series, 2016).
Some recent articles:
- Sovacool, BK; Tan-Mullins, M; Abrahamse, W (2018). "Bloated bodies and broken bricks: Power, ecology, and inequality in the political economy of natural disaster recovery". World Development. 110 (1): 243–255.
- Sovacool, BK; et al. (2018). "The demographics of decarbonizing transport: The influence of gender, education, occupation, age, and household size on electric mobility preferences in the Nordic region". Global Environmental Change. 52: 86–100.
- Sovacool, BK; et al. (2018). "The neglected social dimensions to a vehicle-to-grid (V2G) transition: A critical and systematic review". Environmental Research Letters. 013001: 1–18.
- Sovacool, BK; Hess, DJ (2018). "Ordering theories: Typologies and conceptual frameworks for sociotechnical change". Social Studies of Science. 47 (5): 703–750.
- Sovacool, BK; et al. (2017). "The Future Promise of Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Integration: A Sociotechnical Review and Research Agenda". Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 42: 377–406.
- Sovacool, BK (2017). "Don't let disaster recovery perpetuate injustice" (PDF). Nature. 549: 433.
- Geels, FW; Sovacool, BK; Schwanen, T; Sorrell, Steven (2017). "Sociotechnical transitions for deep decarbonisation". Science. 357 (6357): 1242–1244.
- Sovacool, BK; et al. (2017). "New frontiers and conceptual frameworks for energy justice". Energy Policy. 105: 677–691.
- Sovacool, BK (2017). "Reviewing, Reforming, and Rethinking Global Energy Subsidies: Towards a Political Economy Research Agenda". Ecological Economics. 135: 150–163.
- Sovacool, BK; et al. (2017). "Climate change adaptation and the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF): Qualitative insights from policy implementation in the Asia-Pacific". Climatic Change. 140 (2): 150–163.
- Wheatley, S; Sovacool, BK; Sornette, D (2017). "Of Disasters and Dragon Kings: A Statistical Analysis of Nuclear Power Incidents & Accidents". Risk Analysis. 37 (1): 99–115.
- Sovacool, BK (2016). "Towards a Science of Climate and Energy Choices". Nature Climate Change. 6: 547–555. Bibcode:2016NatCC...6..547S. doi:10.1038/nclimate3027.
- Sovacool, BK (2016). "Energy Decisions Reframed as Justice and Ethical Concerns". Nature Energy. 1 (16024): 1–6.
- Sovacool, BK (2016). "How Long Will it Take? Conceptualizing the Temporal Dynamics of Energy Transitions". Energy Research & Social Science. 13: 202–215. doi:10.1016/j.erss.2015.12.020.
- Sovacool, BK (2015). "The Political Economy of Climate Adaptation". Nature Climate Change. 5 (7): 616–618. Bibcode:2015NatCC...5..616S. doi:10.1038/nclimate2665.
- Sovacool, BK (2014). "Energy Studies Need Social Science". Nature. 511 (7511): 529–530. Bibcode:2014Natur.511..529S. doi:10.1038/511529a.
- Sovacool, BK (2014). "What Are We Doing Here? Analyzing Fifteen Years of Energy Scholarship and Proposing a Social Science Research Agenda". Energy Research & Social Science. 1 (1): 1–29. doi:10.1016/j.erss.2014.02.003.
- Sovacool, BK. "An International Assessment of Energy Security Performance". Ecological Economics. 88: 148–158. doi:10.1016/j.ecolecon.2013.01.019.
- Sovacool, BK. "Design Principles for Renewable Energy Programs in Developing Countries". Energy & Environmental Science. 5 (11): 9157–9162. doi:10.1039/C2EE22468B.
- Sovacool, BK. "Deploying Off-Grid Technology to Eradicate Energy Poverty". Science. 338: 47–48. Bibcode:2012Sci...338...47S. doi:10.1126/science.1222307. PMID 23042871.
- Sovacool, BK; D'Agostino, A; Rawlani, A; Meenawat, H. "Improving Climate Change Adaptation in Least Developed Asia". Environmental Science & Policy. 21 (8): 112–125. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2012.04.009.
- Cherp, A, A Adenikinju, A Goldthau, F Hernandez, BK Sovacool et al., "Energy and Security," In TB Johansson, A Patwardhan, N Nakicenovic, and L Gomez-Echeverri (Eds.) Global Energy Assessment (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012), pp. 325–383.
- Sovacool, BK; Mukherjee, I; Drupady, IM; D'Agostino, AL. "Evaluating Energy Security Performance from 1990 to 2010 for Eighteen Countries". Energy. 36 (10): 5846–5853. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2011.08.040.
- Sovacool, BK; Brown, MA. "Competing Dimensions of Energy Security: An International Review". Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 35: 77–108. doi:10.1146/annurev-environ-042509-143035.
- 100% renewable energy
- Peter A. Bradford
- Mark Cooper
- Mark Z. Jacobson
- Amory Lovins
- M.V. Ramana
- David A. Schlissel
- Stephen Thomas
- Mark Diesendorf
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Renewable energy in developing countries
- Comparisons of life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions
- Aarhus University. "Professor Benjamin Sovacool".
- Aarhus University (2013). "Keynote speakers". PMA 2014 Conference. Archived from the original on 2013-09-12.
- University of Sussex. "Benjamin Sovacool joins Sussex Energy Group".
- "VT Law School Launches Energy Security & Justice Project". Vermont Law School. January 24, 2012. Archived from the original on March 13, 2012.
- Vermont Law School (2013). "Benjamin K. Sovacool Biography". Archived from the original on 2013-05-28.
- ABA. "Environment, Energy, and Resources Dedication to Diversity and Justice Award - Past Award Recipients".
- Sioshansi, Fereidoon P. (2007). "Energy and American Society—Thirteen Myths (Book Review)" (PDF). Energy Policy. 35: 6554–6555. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2007.08.008.
- Pasqualetti, Martin J. (2008). "Review of Energy and American Society--Thirteen Myths, B. Sovacool, M. Brown (eds.)". Annals of the Association of American Geographers. 8 (2): 504–505. doi:10.1080/00045600801944210.
- Curriculum Vitae: Dr. Benjamin K. Sovacool[permanent dead link]
- Benjamin K. Sovacool (2011). "Contesting the Future of Nuclear Power" (PDF). World Scientific. pp. 248–250.