Benjamin Law (writer)
|Born||1982 (age 33)
Nambour, Queensland, Australia
|Notable works||The Family Law, Gaysia|
Benjamin Law is an Australian author and journalist. He is best known for his books The Family Law, a family memoir published in 2010, and Gaysia: Adventures in the Queer East, a journalistic exploration of LGBT life in Asia.
The Family Law was a shortlisted nominee for Book of the Year at the 2011 Australian Book Industry Awards, and was adapted by Matchbox Pictures into a six-part television series for the SBS network in 2016.
As a journalist, he has contributed to publications including Frankie, The Australian Financial Review, The Saturday Paper, The Monthly, The Courier-Mail and its Qweekend supplement, Griffith Review, Fairfax Media's Good Weekend magazine, The Big Issue and Crikey.
Benjamin Law is also a regular guest panelist on "The Book Club ABC" hosted by Jennifer Byrne. He is noted for his love of texts that cover dysfunctional families. Benjamin Law has caused increasing interest during his appearances on "The Book Club ABC" because of his signature bare ankles. "The Book Club ABC" viewers are known for their love of ankles devoting #sockwatch to regular panelist, Jason Steger's, woolly socks. The sharp contrast of Law's naked ankles has thrilled both viewers and fellow panelists.
- The Family Law (2010, ISBN 9781863954785)
- Gaysia: Adventures in the Queer East (2012, ISBN 9781863955768)
Essays and reporting
- Law, Benjamin (Sep 2014). "10 things I believe [interview with Gary Shteyngart]". Smith Journal. 12: 22–24.
- "Law unto himself: The Family Law author Benjamin Law". Meld, 27 March 2012.
- Robert Dessaix, "Queer and Loathing". The Monthly, September 2012.
- Benjamin Law. Law http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/family-relationships-and-sex/benjamin-law-20140829-10a9al.htmltitle=Benjamin Law Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 2016-04-24. Missing or empty
- "Over the rainbow". The Hindu, 20 December 2013.
- "Gay, lesbian or queer writing". The Book Show, 7 February 2011.
- "Benjamin Law Comedy In Production At Matchbox Pictures". Pedestrian Daily, 16 October 2013.
- "Benjamin Law" The Saturday Paper, 20 December 2014
|This article about an Australian writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|