Benjamin West Clinedinst
|Benjamin West Clinedinst|
October 14, 1859|
Woodstock, Virginia, US
|Died||September 12, 1931
Pawling, New York
|Education||Virginia Military Institute|
|Parent(s)||Barnett M. Clinedinst
Mary C. South
|Relatives||Barnett McFee Clinedinst, Jr., brother|
Benjamin West Clinedinst (October 14, 1859 – September 12, 1931) was an American illustrator and painter. His sympathetic collaboration with the various authors gave his work an especial charm.
Clinedinst was born on October 14, 1859, in Woodstock, Virginia to Barnett M. Clinedinst and Mary C. South. He attended Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia. He studied for a year in Baltimore and for five years in Paris under Cabanel and Bonnat.
He first attracted attention in New York City with his illustrations for Leslie's Weekly. He was awarded the Evans prize of the American Watercolor Society in 1900. In 1894, he was elected into the National Academy of Design as an Associate Academician, and became a full Academician in 1898.
Clinedinst died on September 12, 1931, in Pawling, New York.
In 1947 the nonprofit Artists' Fellowship, Inc. established the Benjamin West Clinedinst Memorial Medal for exceptional artistic merit. Past winners include William H. Bailey, Will Barnet, Stanley Bleifeld, Paul Cadmus, Lois Dodd, Jane Freilicher, Robert Beverly Hale, Paul Jenkins, Morton Kaish, Everett Raymond Kinstler, Robert Kipniss, Knox Martin, Louise Nevelson, Pat Oliphant, Philip Pearlstein, and Norman Rockwell.
Clinedinst painted a mural of V.M.I. cadets at the 1864 Battle of New Market. The mural is today on display in V.M.I.'s Jackson Memorial Hall.
- Colby, F.; Williams, T., eds. (1914). "Clinedinst". New International Encyclopedia (2nd ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- Davis, John (2004). Dearinger, David Bernard, ed. Benjamin West Clinedinst. Paintings and Sculpture in the Collection of the National Academy of Design: 1826-1925. 1. pp. 109–10.
- "Clinedinst, Benjamin West". New International Encyclopedia. 1905.
- "Annual Award Event: The Annual Medal Presentation Dinner". Artists' Fellowship, Inc. (artistsfellowship.org). Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Annual Award Event: The Benjamin West Clinedinst Memorial Medal". Artists' Fellowship, Inc. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Paintings and Sculpture in the Collection of the National Academy of Design: 1826-1925, edited by David Bernard Dearinger; published 2004 by Hudson Hills Press (via Google Books)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Colby, F.; Williams, T., eds. (1914). "Clinedinst". New International Encyclopedia (2nd ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benjamin West Clinedinst.|
- Works by Benjamin West Clinedinst at Project Gutenberg
- Artnet.com listing
- Benjamin West Clinedinst at Library of Congress Authorities, with 10 catalog records
|This article about a painter from the United States born in the 1850s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|