August 16, 1943 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Institutions||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Notable awards||Helen B. Warner Prize for Astronomy|
Benjamin Michael Zuckerman (born August 16, 1943) is an astrophysicist and an emeritus professor in the Department of Physics & Astronomy at UCLA. His recent work focus primarily on formation and evolution of planetary systems around various types of stars.
Zuckerman completed two degrees in 1963, one in Physics and one in Aeronautic & Astronautics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He finished his PhD thesis in Astronomy in 1968 at Harvard University.
Since 1965, Zuckerman has published well over 200 refereed papers in journals such as Astrophysical Journal, Nature, Astronomy & Astrophysics and Science, of which he was first author for close to 100. He also produced a number of review papers in Annual review of astronomy and astrophysics. In 2001, he participated in the Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Astrophysics.
In 1982, Zuckerman co-edited a book called Extraterrestrials, Where Are They with Michael Hart. The book was republished in 1995. He also co-authored the book The Origin and Evolution of the Universe with Matthew A. Malkan and Matthew J. Thomas. In 1996, he also wrote with David Jefferson the book Human Population and the Environmental Crisis, following a public symposium of the same name held at UCLA in October 1993.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation (1976). Reports of the President and the Treasurer - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. ISSN 0190-227X. Retrieved 2015-04-10.
- Benjamin Zuckerman webpage on UCLA Department of Physics and Astronomy website.
- Benjamin Zuckerman publication list on NASA ADS
- Zuckerman, Benjamin (2001). "Dusty Circumstellar Disks". Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Astrophysics. Bibcode:2001eaa..bookE1845Z. doi:10.1888/0333750888/1845. ISBN 0-333-75088-8. http://eaa.crcpress.com/
- Google Book link to the 1995 2nd edition of the book
- Description of the book on AbeBooks website.