Benner Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania
Benner Township, Pennsylvania
Map of Centre County, Pennsylvania highlighting Benner Township
Map of Centre County, Pennsylvania
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Chair||Randy Moyer|
|• Vice-chair||David Wise|
|• Supervisor||Mark J. Capriani|
|• Auditor||Rory Spangler|
|• Auditor||Thomas Strouse|
|• Total||28.35 sq mi (73.44 km2)|
|• Land||28.35 sq mi (73.44 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||324.75/sq mi (125.39/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Benner Township is a township in Centre County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is part of the State College, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is located approximately at Coordinates: along Buffalo Run Road (Pennsylvania Route 550), near Bellefonte.
Benner Township was settled in 1793 with the establishment of an iron furnace. It is named for General Phillip Benner who built the furnace along Spring Creek near the settlement of Rock. Benner built a nail mill and slitting mill in the area as well.
Buffalo were seen in the area as late as 1769. Other wild game that inhabited the area prior to settlement were bears, gray wolves and cougars. It is noted that these three animals were so abundant in the area that men dared not venture into the woods after dark.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 28.5 square miles (74 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,188 people, 1,612 households, and 1,095 families residing in the township. The population density was 217.1 people per square mile (83.8/km2). There were 1,759 housing units at an average density of 61.7/sq mi (23.8/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 78.8% White, 16.2% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 3.6% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.2% of the population.
There were 1,612 households, out of which 28.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.5% were married couples living together, 4.0% had a male householder with no wife present, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.1% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the township the population was spread out, with 13.3% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 38.7% from 25 to 44, 29.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 218.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 245.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $54,566, and the median income for a family was $67,687. The per capita income for the township was $24,092. About 2.6% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "History of Benner Township". Benner Township. 2004-02-29. Archived from the original on 2006-07-23. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Benner Township Zoning Map." Zoning Ordinance Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine. Benner Township, March 2009. Retrieved on July 26, 2010
- "Pennsylvania Department of Corrections: SCI Rockview". Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Retrieved 2010-07-26.