|Bennett Altman Miller|
Bennett Miller attending the "Weekend of a Champion" Press Conference at the Crosby Street Hotel, New York City
December 30, 1966 |
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||New York University Tisch School of the Arts|
|Occupation||Film director, Film producer|
Bennett Miller (born December 30, 1966) is an American film director, known for directing the acclaimed films Capote (2005), Moneyball (2011), and Foxcatcher (2014). He has been nominated twice for the Academy Award for Best Director.
Miller was born in New York City, to a painter mother and a contractor father. Miller attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts but did not graduate. One of his classmates was the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, whom he had already met at the New York State Summer School of the Arts as high school students.
Miller began his film career directing the 1998 documentary The Cruise. As described by Wheeler Winston Dixon, the film documented the "tough life of a tour guide on a New York City bus", and was made using handheld digital cameras. It was a "surprise hit, and opened up numerous doors for Miller." Miller turned down several offers of film projects, until he was able to get support to make the film Capote (2005) with Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played Truman Capote.
In 2009, Miller was hired by Columbia Pictures to direct the film Moneyball after its previously-hired director, Steven Soderbergh, clashed with producers over the tone of the film. The resulting film, released in 2011, was a critical and commercial success. Miller's most recent film is Foxcatcher (2014), starring Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo, a film he began developing in 2006. The film became a critical success and was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Director (Miller), Best Actor (Carell), Best Supporting Actor (Ruffalo), and Best Original Screenplay (E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman).
|1998||The Cruise||Yes||Yes||Yes||also cinematographer|
- Dixon, Wheeler Winston (September 22, 2006). "Bennett Miller: an interview.". Free Patents Online.
- Keogan, Shonna (January 15, 2015). "Tisch Alums Get Five Oscar Nods". New York University.
- Calamunci, Anthony (December 4, 2015). "In Conversation with Bennett Miller". Tisch Fast Forward Blog.
- Dixon, Wheeler Winston (July 11, 2007). Film Talk: Directors at Work. Rutgers University Press. p. xii. ISBN 978-0-8135-4077-1.
- Harris, Mark (August 24, 2014). "Obsession With an Obsession: The Making of Foxcatcher". New York Magazine.
- Phillips, Ian (May 5, 2015). "These oddly dark toilet paper commercials were made by the director of 'Foxcatcher' — and they're amazing". Business Insider.