|Bennett Altman Miller|
Bennett Miller attending the “Weekend of a Champion” Press Conference at the Crosby Hotel,NYC
December 30, 1966 |
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||New York University Tisch School of the Arts|
|Occupation||Film director, Film producer|
Bennett Miller (born December 30, 1966) is an American film director, known for directing the acclaimed films Capote (2005), Moneyball (2011), and Foxcatcher (2014). He has been nominated twice for the Academy Award for Best Director.
Miller was born in New York City, to a painter mother and a contractor father. Miller attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts but did not graduate. One of his classmates was the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, whom he had already met at the New York State Summer School of the Arts as high school students.
Miller began his film career directing the 1998 documentary The Cruise. As described by Wheeler Winston Dixon, the film documented the "tough life of a tour guide on a New York City bus", and was made using handheld digital cameras. It was a "surprise hit, and opened up numerous doors for Miller." Miller turned down several offers of film projects, until he was able to get support to make the film Capote (2005) with Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played Truman Capote. In 2009, Miller was hired by Columbia Pictures to direct the film Moneyball after its previously-hired director, Steven Soderbergh, clashed with producers over the tone of the film. The resulting film, released in 2011, was a critical and commercial success. Miller's most recent film is Foxcatcher (2014), starring Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo, a film he began developing in 2006. The film was a critical success and was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, including nominations for Miller, Carell and Ruffalo.
Awards and honors
Miller was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director for Capote and Foxcatcher.
Miller has recently made a foray into directing commercials. His latest is for Quilted Northern toilet paper. 
|1998||The Cruise||Yes||Yes||Yes||also Cinematographer|
- "Tisch Alums Get Five Oscar Nods". nyu.edu. January 15, 2015.
- "In Conversation with Bennett Miller". Tisch Fast Forward Blog. December 4, 2015.
- Dixon, Wheeler Winston (July 11, 2007). Film Talk: Directors at Work. Rutgers University Press. p. xii. ISBN 978-0-8135-4077-1.
- Harris, Mark (August 24, 2014). "Obsession With an Obsession: The Making of Foxcatcher". New York Magazine.
- "Awards 2014 : Competition". Cannes. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "These oddly dark toilet paper commercials were made by the director of ‘Foxcatcher’ — and they’re amazing". toilet paper. Retrieved 5 May 2015.