Bennetts Lane Jazz Club
The Bennetts Lane Jazz Club is a music venue in Melbourne, Australia, located off Little Lonsdale Street. It has operated since 1992, with a second room, the Jazz Lab, opening in 2000. The club has hosted local and international musicians and was a venue for the Melbourne Jazz Festival. Lonely Planet called it "the world's best jazz club" and it won the Best Venue Award at the Australian Jazz Awards in 2003 and 2004.
The venue closed its doors, supposedly for the last time, on 15 June 2015, following the sale of the real estate assets by owner and venue founder Michael Tortoni, apparently to a developer intent on building an apartment complex on the site. A number of rumours then circulated  suggesting the venue would re-open in Flinders Lane, Melbourne (behind the Grand Hyatt Hotel) as "Bennetts Jazz Club" and Brunswick (an inner-northern suburb) as "The Jazzlab".
The venue reopened on 27 August 2015, pending further discussions on the future of the site.
Bennetts Lane Jazz club founder and Artistic Director of the Melbourne International Jazz Festival, Michael Tortoni, has returned with his new 'Art Creation' at 27 Leslie Street Brunswick called "The Jazzlab", Featuring great musicians from all over world 7 nights per week with an extended midnight set Friday and Saturday nights for a great hang. It is already the flagship jazz club for the Melbourne International Jazz Festival.
Musicians to perform there have included:
- The Cat Empire
- Harry Connick, Jr.
- Chick Corea
- Kurt Elling
- Herbie Hancock
- Abdullah Ibrahim
- Branford Marsalis
- Wynton Marsalis
- Brad Mehldau
- Justin Timberlake
- Official website.
- Location at Google Maps.
- "Discover the Lane", Bennett's Lane. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Claire Halliday, "Can you dig it?", The Age, 2 May 2005. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Carolyn Webb, "Top honour for jazz veteran 'Lazy Ade'", The Age, 29 August 2003. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Greg Burchall, "Giving is its own award", The Age, May 24, 2006. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Andra Jackson, "Round midnight in Melbourne", The Age, 18 April 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Live Music Venue Bennetts Lane To Reopen","Beat Magazine"
- Marc Pallisco, "Capital Gain: Bennetts Lane Jazz Club to move to Grand Hyatt", "Sydney Morning Herald", 10 July 2015
- Michael Dwyer, "Melbourne jazz club Bennetts Lane to split into two new venues", "Sydney Morning Herald", 8 June 2015
- Michael Dwyer, "Prodigy makes great Corea move on her stairway to jazz heaven", The Age, 5 May 2007. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Andra Jackson, "Don't ask me, I'm the conduit", The Age, 19 April 2008. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Patrick Donovan, "Prince's secret gig not-so-secret", The Age, 12 October 2003. Retrieved 10 January 2012.