Benny Golson's New York Scene
|Benny Golson's New York Scene|
|Studio album by Benny Golson|
October 14 & 17, 1957 |
New York City
|Benny Golson chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
John S. Wilson's contemporaneous review was positive, noting that both quintet and nonet bands feature "Farmer playing with broad authority no matter what the fare at hand while Golson's warm, dark lines flare and glide through all the pieces." Scott Yanow of Allmusic stated, "this underrated gem served as a strong start to Benny Golson's influential solo career".
- All compositions by Benny Golson except as indicated.
- "Something in B flat" (Ray Bryant) - 6:04
- "Whisper Not" - 6:01
- "Step Lightly" - 6:54
- "Just by Myself" - 4:12
- "Blues It" - 6:52
- "You're Mine, You" (Johnny Green, Edward Heyman) - 4:22
- "Capri" (Gigi Gryce) - 3:59
- "B.G.'s Holiday" - 5:34 Bonus track on CD
- Benny Golson - tenor saxophone
- Art Farmer - trumpet
- Jimmy Cleveland - trombone (tracks 2, 4 & 7)
- Julius Watkins - French horn (tracks 2, 4 & 7)
- Gigi Gryce - alto saxophone (tracks 2, 4 & 7)
- Sahib Shihab - baritone saxophone (tracks 2, 4 & 7)
- Wynton Kelly - piano
- Paul Chambers - bass
- Charlie Persip - drums
- Schwann Monthly Guide to Stereo Records, 1967
- Benny Golson discography accessed June 25, 2012
- Yanow, S. Allmusic Review accessed June 25, 2012
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 85. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Wilson, John S. (1959) The Collector's Jazz: Modern, p.120. J. B. Lippincott.