||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
|Birth name||Thomas Meluch|
|Born||August 4, 1984|
|Origin||Michigan, United States|
|Genres||Electronic, ambient, folk, shoegaze|
|Labels||Kranky, Moodgadget, Type, Ghostly International|
Meluch began documenting field recordings and his own lo-fi compositions on dictaphones, discarded stereos and four-track machines in the mid 1990s, later focusing on highly limited CD-R and cassette releases of his experimental, folk-influenced songs for friends and family.
His first recordings as Benoît Pioulard appeared on the Random Number...Colors Start compilation released by the Ann Arbor-based Moodgadget label in 2004. After 2005's Enge EP Meluch was signed to Chicago's Kranky imprint, for whom he recorded the albums Précis (2006),Temper (2008), Lasted (2010), and Hymnal (2013).
In 2010, Meluch formed Orcas with minimalist composer Rafael Anton Irisarri. The duo's self-titled debut was released in April 2012 on Germany's Morr Music imprint, and its follow-up Yearling was released in early 2014.
Meluch lives in Seattle, Washington with his wife, an antiquarian horologist.
- Blurred CD-R (self-released, 2001)
- Clear CD-R (self-released, 2001)
- Skymost CD-R (self-released, 2003)
- Enge 7" EP (Moodgadget, 2005)
- Dakota / Housecoat CD-R (self-released, 2006)
- Précis CD (Kranky, 2006)
- Fir 7" EP (Type, 2007)
- Temper LP (Kranky, 2008)
- Lee 7" (Hall Of Owls, 2008)
- Flocks 7" (Blue Flea, 2009)
- Lasted LP (Kranky, 2010)
- Plays Thelma EP (Desire Path Recordings, 2011)
- Hymnal LP (Kranky, 2013)
- Sonnet LP (Kranky, 2015)
- Noyaux EP (Kranky, 2015)
- Random Number...Colors Start (Moodgadget, 2004)
- Idol Tryouts 2 (Ghostly International, 2006)
- The Rorschach Suite (Moodgadget, 2006)
- Four-beat Rhythm: The Writings of Wilhelm Reich (Workshop, 2013)
- Phares, Heather (2013-03-05). "Hymnal - Benoît Pioulard : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-04-09.