Benoy Kumar Sarkar
|Benoy Kumar Sarkar
বিনয় কুমার সরকার
Photo of Sarkar from the March-April 1917 issue of The Hindusthanee Student.
Washington D.C., United States
Benoy Kumar Sarkar (sometimes Binoy Kumar Sarkar) (1887–1949) was an Indian social scientist, professor, and nationalist. He founded several institutes in Calcutta, including: the Bengali Institute of Sociology, Bengali Asia Academy, Bengali Dante Society, and Bengali Institute of American Culture.
Sarkar graduated from the University of Calcutta in 1905 with dual degrees in English and history. The following year he received his master's degree.
In 1925 Sarkar started as a lecturer at the Department of Economics of University of Calcutta. In 1947 he became a professor and head of the department. He died on a trip to the United States in Washington, DC, in November 1949.
Sarker published a large volume of work on a variety of topics, including 53 books in English. A complete list of his publications is contained in Bandyopadhyay's book The Political Ideas of Benoy Kumar Sarkar.
- 1914/1921 The Positive Background of Hindu Sociology
- 1916 The beginning of Hindu culture as world-power (A.D. 300-600)
- 1916 Chinese Religion Through Hindu Eyes
- 1918 Hindu achievements in exact science a study in the history of scientific development
- Bandyopadhyay, B. (1984) The Political Ideas of Benoy Kumar Sarkar K. P. Bagchi, Calcutta, ISBN 0-8364-1336-9, OCLC 12419520
- published in two parts, the first in 1914 and the later in 1921: Sarkar, Benoy Kumar (1914) The Positive Background of Hindu Sociology (Part 1) Pânini Office, Allahabad, OCLC 2005865; and Sarkar, Benoy Kumar (1914) The Positive Background of Hindu Sociology (Part 2, with appendices by Brajendranáth Seal) Sudhindra Natha Vasu, Allahabad, OCLC 48121776
- Sarkar, Benoy Kumar (1916) The beginning of Hindu culture as world-power (A.D. 300-600) Commercial Press, Shanghai, OCLC 5732399
- Sarkar, Benoy Kumar (1916) Chinese Religion Through Hindu Eyes: a study in the tendencies of Asiatic mentality Commercial Press, Shanghai, OCLC 82020
- Sarkar, Benoy Kumar (1918) Hindu achievements in exact science a study in the history of scientific development Longmans, Green and Co., New York, OCLC 1193853
- Behn, Wolfgang (2004) "Benoy Kumar Sarkar: 1887-1949" Concise Biographical Companion to Index Islamicus, 1665-1980: An international who's who in Islamic studies from its beginnings down to the twentieth century (Volume Three (N-Z)) Koninklijke Brill, Leiden, Netherlands, ISBN 90-04-14189-8
- Sinha, Vineeta (2007) "Sarkar, Benoy Kumar (1887–1949)" in Ritzer, George (ed.) (2007) Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Blackwell Publishing, Malden, MA, ISBN 978-1-4051-2433-1
- Sarkar, Ida (1977) "My life with Prof. Benoy Kumar Sarkar", compiled and translated from the German text by Indira Palit. Calcutta : Prabhat.