Bentham railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||"Little" North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 June 1850||Opened as Bentham|
|1 November 1851||Renamed Bentham High|
|1 May 1876||Renamed Bentham|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Bentham from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Bentham railway station serves the small town of High Bentham in North Yorkshire, England. It lies on the Leeds to Morecambe Line, between Wennington and Clapham, 19 miles (31 km) east of Lancaster. It is the nearest station to Ingleton, North Yorkshire.
The station was opened on 1 June 1850 by the "little" North Western Railway, later taken over by the Midland Railway. During part of the 19th century, it was known as Bentham High as the neighbouring settlement of Low Bentham also had its own station (although this only lasted for three years, being closed to passenger traffic in 1853).
The station building (built in 1955/56 after the original Midland structure was demolished by British Railways) is now privately owned, the station having been reduced to unstaffed halt status in October 1970. It has had its own community volunteer support group (The Friends of Bentham Station) since September 2011, which is based in the aforementioned building on the eastbound platform and has support from various local organisations (such as the route's Rail User Group, Craven District Council & the Leeds-Lancaster-Morecambe Line Community Rail Partnership).
Timetable posters and digital information screens on both platforms provide train running information. Tickets need to be purchased on the train or in advance of travel at present, but Northern has plans to install ticket vending machines here in 2019, along with other stations on the route.
All services are operated by Northern. There are eight departures each way (increased from seven the start of the May 2019 timetable). Westbound, trains run to Wennington, Carnforth, Lancaster and Morecambe (five trains only), whilst trains in the other direction run to Clapham, Giggleswick, Skipton and Leeds. Connections for Bradford Forster Square are available at Shipley, although through trains do operate occasionally if the line to Leeds is closed for engineering work.
On Sundays there are now five services in each direction throughout the year (all running to/from Morecambe since the winter 2019 timetable update). The alterations to give better journey opportunities for commuters to both Leeds and Lancaster (and additional Sunday services) were implemented at the May 2018 timetable change. Further station improvements are also planned, such as the installation of ticket machines, video help points and improved lighting. The removal of "Pacer" DMUs from the route is also scheduled for 2019.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 32. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Bairstow, p. 96
- Dewick, map 24
- Bairstow, p. 9
- A Brief History of Bentham StationFriends of Bentham Station; Retrieved 4 December 2013
- "Better stations are coming to Northern"Northern news article; Retrieved 23 November 2019
- GB eNRT December 2019 Edition, Table 42
- Northern Franchise Improvements - DfT
- "Wait over for new shelter at Giggleswick Railway Station" Tate, Lesley Craven Herald & Pioneer news article 14 December 2016; Retrieved 28 September 2017
- Bairstow, M. (2000), The 'Little' North Western Railway, Martin Bairstow, Leeds, ISBN 1-871944-21-X
- Dewick, T. (2002), Complete Atlas of Railway Station Names, Ian Allan Publishing, Hersham, ISBN 0-7110-2798-6
- Train times and station information for Bentham railway station from National Rail
- Friends of Bentham Station - Station support group's Home Page
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Leeds to Morecambe Line
"Little" North Western Railway
|This article on a railway station in Yorkshire and the Humber is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|