Bentleigh railway station
Southbound view from Platform 3 of the station in August 2016
|Location||Nicholson Street, Bentleigh
|Distance||16.52 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 side, 1 island)|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1/2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||19 December 1881|
|Closed||11 June 2016|
|Rebuilt||29 August 2016|
|Previous names||East Brighton|
Bentleigh railway station is located on the Frankston line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the south-eastern Melbourne suburb of Bentleigh, and opened on 19 December 1881 as East Brighton. It was renamed Bentleigh on 1 May 1907.
Boom barriers were provided at the Centre Road level crossing in 1974. On 28 June 1987, the Up face of the former ground level island platform was brought into use. The former underpass was also provided during this time. It was upgraded to a Premium station in 1998. Prior to the works, Bentleigh closely resembled McKinnon station. Also around this time, the underpass was filled in.
In 2006, the station's pedestrian level crossing was upgraded, as part of the VicTrack trial of new crossing technology. Additional warning devices were also fitted, with the common red pedestrian sign, as well as an LED light box saying "Another Train Coming", which is lit when either an express train is bound on the southbound line, or when a train is expected after another train on the northbound line.
In May 2015, the Level Crossing Removal Authority announced a grade separation project, to replace the Centre Road level crossing, immediately south of the station. This included rebuilding the station. The station closed on 4 June 2016, with the new station opened on August 29, 2016.
Platforms & services
Bentleigh has an island platform with two sides, and one side platform. Platforms 1 and 2 (on the island platform) consist of a large brick building housing an enclosed waiting area, ticket facilities and toilets. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Frankston line services.
Prior to 16 November 2015, in the morning peak hour, Frankston bound services utilised Platform 3, with Flinders Street bound trains utilising Platforms 1 and 2. At other times Frankston bound trains used Platform 2.
Since this time, trains have used either Platforms 1 and 2 only, or 2 and 3 only.
Ventura Bus Lines operates three routes via Bentleigh station:
- 701: to Oakleigh station
- 703: Middle Brighton station – Blackburn station
- 979: Elsternwick station – Dandenong station (Saturday and Sunday mornings only)
- Bentleigh Vicsig
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. February 1975. p. 47.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. September 1987. p. 282.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station" Newsrail October 1997 page 310
- First to go level crossings in Melbourne's south-east top Andrew's election promise to-do list The Age 19 May 2015
- "Planned Works". www.metrotrains.com.au. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Frankston Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 701 Oakleigh - Bentleigh timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 703 Middle Brighton - Blackburn timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 979 Elsternwick - Dandenong timetable Public Transport Victoria