|Town of Bentley|
|Municipal district||Lacombe County|
|• Village||March 17, 1915|
|• Town||January 1, 2001|
|• Mayor||Lynda Haarstad-Petten|
|• Governing body||Bentley Town Council|
|• MP||Blaine Calkins|
|• Land||2.24 km2 (0.86 sq mi)|
|Elevation||910 m (2,990 ft)|
|• Density||482.2/km2 (1,249/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|Postal code span|
It was named in honour of George Bentley, an early homesteader.
The first settlers came from the U.S. and either walked or drove oxen from Lacombe, which was the closest railroad station between 1888-1890. The first church was built in 1890 by the Methodists, and a schoolhouse was built in 1903. Bentley was incorporated as a village on March 17, 1915.
A disastrous fire destroyed all buildings on the south side of the community in 1916. The centre roadway was made 36 metres (118 ft) wide and new buildings could not be constructed inside that area. In 1930, a centre boulevard was constructed for fire protection and street lights installed.
Bentley was incorporated as a town on January 1, 2001.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Bentley recorded a population of 1,078 living in 441 of its 463 total private dwellings, a 0.5% change from its 2011 population of 1,073. With a land area of 2.24 km2 (0.86 sq mi), it had a population density of 481.3/km2 ( 1,246.4/sq mi) in 2016.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Bentley had a population of 1,073 living in 440 of its 469 total dwellings, a -0.9% change from its 2006 population of 1,083. With a land area of 2.3 km2 (0.89 sq mi), it had a population density of 466.5/km2 ( 1,208.3/sq mi) in 2011.
The population of the Town of Bentley according to its 2009 municipal census is 1,132.
Bentley has one public school, Bentley School (kindergarten to grade 12), administered by Wolf Creek Public Schools. The Bentley Parent Advisor Council is an active group that promotes working with the school community to provide a quality education in a caring environment for students.
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Bentley" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 7, 2016. p. 50. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. September 22, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- Place-names of Alberta. Ottawa: Geographic Board of Canada. 1928. p. 18.
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Bentley". Alberta Municipal Affairs. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs (2009-09-15). "Alberta 2009 Official Population List" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Wolfcreek Public Schools, Alberta