Bentley & Skinner
|Privately held company|
|Headquarters||55 Piccadilly, W1J 0DX|
Bentley & Skinner is a British family held company specialising in fine antique jewelry, silver and objects of art by Carl Faberge. Bentley & Skinner are jewellers and silversmiths by appointment to HM the Queen and HRH the Prince of Wales.
Skinner & Co was founded in 1880, and began supplying jewelry to the English Royal family during Queen Victoria's reign. Bentley & Co was founded in 1934. The amalgamation of the two companies in 1997 created Bentley & Skinner, located today at 55 Piccadily in Mayfair London.
Skinner & Co. was established in 1880. In 1893 Spencer Compton Cavendish, 8th Duke of Devonshire commissioned the jeweller to create a diamond coronet for his wife Louisa Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire. She was seen as a leader of fashion and society, holding many balls at Devonshire House and was especially well known for the magnificent jewellery that she wore. In order to make the coronet the 8th Duke of Devonshire removed the diamonds in the Devonshire Parure and other heirlooms, such as the 6th Duke's Garter Star. These totalled 1041 diamonds, to which Skinner added another 840.
Bentley & Co. was founded in 1934. The two companies joined together in 1997 creating Bentley & Skinner, Jewellers by Royal Appointment.
- "Jewellery that Reflects the fact of the past". Fashion Jewellery Boutique. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 December 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-18.
- Brough, David (13 August 2009). "Celebrated British jeweler quits London's Bond St". Reuters. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- Sutcliffe, Thomas (2 June 2007). "For the love of god: a £50m work of art". The Independent. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- "History: Bentley & Skinner (Bond Street Jewellers) Ltd". Bentley & Skinner. Archived from the original on 26 April 2010. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 December 2016. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
Media related to Bentley & Skinner at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a company of the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|