Bentley State Limousine
|Bentley State Limousine|
Note the Queen's personal English mascot of Saint George slaying the dragon. Like many other State Vehicles, the car's hood ornaments are interchangeable.
|Engine||Rolls-Royce – Bentley L Series V8 engine, 6.75-litre V8, twin-turbochargers|
|Wheelbase||3,844 mm (151 in)|
|Length||6,220 mm (245 in)|
|Width||2,000 mm (79 in)|
|Height||1,770 mm (70 in)|
The vehicle's twin-turbocharged, 6.75-litre V8 engine has been modified from Bentley's Arnage R version to produce 400 hp (298 kW; 406 PS) and 616 lb⋅ft (835 N⋅m) of torque. Its maximum speed is 130 mph (209 km/h).
The State Limousine is 83.0 cm (2.723 ft) longer than a standard Bentley Arnage, 25.5 cm (10.0 in) taller, and 6.8 cm (2.7 in) wider. It is equipped with broad coach doors that open to the rear almost 90 degrees. Opaque panels over the backlight of the car can be installed for either added privacy or removed for added visibility of its passengers. For protection of its occupants, the bodywork and glass are armoured, the cabin can be sealed air-tight in case of gas attack and is also blast-resistant, and the tyres are kevlar-reinforced.
The Bentley is used mostly on official engagements, and is always escorted by a selection of marked and unmarked Royal Protection Squad vehicles and local police vehicles and motorcycle outriders. The Queen also uses it to travel to church when at Balmoral and Sandringham House. When abroad, the Queen may use other state cars or a vehicle provided by her hosts.
Like all British state cars, the Bentley has a mount on its roof for an illuminated coat-of-arms and a pennant, which can be inserted from inside the vehicle. These usually feature the royal coat of arms and the Royal Standard respectively, although other symbols can be used for occasions such as a state visit. When the Queen is on board, the Bentley "Flying B" bonnet ornament is either replaced by the Queen's personal mascot of Saint George slaying the dragon or a single standing Lion, which is used in Scotland. The limousines are equipped with flashing blue lights, two in the grille and two on the front bumper. The State Limousines do not have number plates. The Bentley is claret and black like all the British state limousines.
The unique bodywork was built by Bentley's Mulliner coachbuilding division.
Only two of these vehicles were built, making it even rarer than the Rolls-Royce Phantom IV, of which just 18 were built for royalty and heads of state.
- Noah Joseph (28 April 2008). "On Her Majesty's Service: 2002 Bentley State Limousine". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- K.-J. Roßfeldt. "Bentley Golden Jubilee (2002), Bentley State Limousine for H.M. The Queen". rrab.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "Royal Cars From The Royal Wedding". automotivecraze.com. 3 May 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "Thatcher funeral, Queen, Prince Philip arrive". YouTube. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- 4wheelsnews: Royal Bentleys to run on biofuels
- Bentley one-off limo to feature at Buckingham Palace Coronation Festival
- BENTLEY STATE LIMOUSINE TO APPEAR AT THE CORONATION FESTIVAL Archived 6 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- One is most amused: Queen sees the funny side when car will not start, Daily Telegraph (13 January 2013).
- "The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Transport > Cars". Royal.gov.uk. 3 May 2011. Archived from the original on 30 October 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- On Her Majesty's Service: 2002 Bentley State Limousine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bentley State Limousine (2002).|
- Bentley State Limousine for H.M. The Queen
- The Queen arrives for a visit to Google's London HQ in the Bentley State Limousine
Bentley timeline, 1920s–present
|Ownership||Bentley Motors Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
|3 L||4½ L
|Cars with Bentley own-factory coachwork|
|Bentleys on the Volkswagen platform|
|Mulsanne||Mulsanne S||Brooklands||Arnage||Arnage RL/R|
|Mulsanne Turbo||Turbo R||Turbo RT||Arnage Red Label||Arnage T|
|Continental S||Continental T|
|Color code||Silver Shadow-based||Mulsanne-based||Arnage-based|
|Saloon||Arnage||Continental Flying Spur||Flying Spur|
|Red Label||Arnage R/T||Mulsanne|
|Coupé||Continental R||Continental GT||Continental GT|
|Continental T||Brooklands Coupé|
|Convertible||Continental GTC||Continental GTC|