Benton High School (Arkansas)
|Benton High School|
Home of Champions.
|211 North Border St. 3
Benton, Arkansas, 72015
|School district||Benton School District|
|NCES School ID||050296000063|
|Vice principal||Karen Hillborn, Chris Nail|
|Faculty||68.15 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||10 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.38|
|Fight song||The Victors|
|Athletics conference||7A/6A South|
|Sports||Football, Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Bowling, Track, Cheer, Dance, Soccer, Golf, Wrestling|
No. 18 (AR)
No. 1843 (USA)
No. 62 (Most Connected)
In 1885, a public referendum established the Benton School District within the county wide system. In Saline County in 1889, there were about 4,700 students, 62 teachers, and 50 public schools. In addition, there were several private schools in the county. After 1900, smaller neighboring school districts were consolidated with the Benton District, making it possible to have a larger and better teaching force, improved equipment, and longer terms. However, it was not until the 1920s that children were required to attend school. Starting in 1928, rural children that did not have access to high school courses, were allowed to transfer to Benton High and were not charged tuition. The Great Depression of the 1930s created a financial crisis in education, causing Benton school teachers to work for several years at almost half pay. In 1930, Hill’s Business College of Little Rock was established at Benton High School, where citizens of Saline County could take night classes. School enrollment grew during and after World War II.
Benton High School has been consistently recognized for its academic excellence including selection in the U.S. News & World Report America's Best High Schools. In addition, honors received include:
- #1 in Geometry Test Scores for Two Consecutive Years
- 2009 AAA Academic Cheer Champions - #1 in State of Arkansas
- 2012, 2009, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1995 and 1993 State Champions Quiz Bowl
- 2012 U.S. News & World Report America's Best High Schools—Silver Medal (No. 18, AR; No. 1843, USA; No. 62, Most Connected)
- 2009 U.S. News & World Report America's Best High Schools—Bronze Medal
- 2008 U.S. News & World Report America's Best High Schools—Bronze Medal
The Benton High School mascot and athletic emblem is the panther with maroon and gray serving as the school colors.
For 2012–14, the Benton Panthers compete in the 6A Classification within the 7A/6A South Conference as administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The Panthers participate in football, volleyball, baseball, basketball (boys/girls), bowling (boys/girls), competitive cheer, cross country, football, golf (boys/girls), soccer (boys/girls), softball, swimming & diving (boys/girls), tennis (boys/girls), track & field (boys/girls), and wrestling.
The Panthers have captured several state championships, including:
- 2012–13 State Champions Cheerleading (3)
- 2011–12 State Champions Cheerleading (2)
- 2009–10 State Champions Volleyball
- 2009–10 State Champions Boys Golf (6)
- 2008–09 State Champions Boys (5) and Girls Golf
- 2008–09 State Champions Cheerleading
- 2008–09 State Champions Baseball
- 2008–09 State Runner Up Dance Team
- 2008–09 State Runner Up Softball
- 2004–05 State Champions Softball (3)
- 2003–04 State Champions Softball (2)
- 1997–98 State Champions Softball
- 1983–84 State Champions Boys Golf (4)
- 1980–81 State Champions Boys Golf (3)
- 1976–77 State Champions Football
- 1970–71 State Champions Boys Track and Field (5)
- 1963–64 State Champions Boys Track and Field (4)
- 1961–62 State Champions Boys Track and Field (3)
- 1960–61 State Champions Boys Track and Field (2)
- 1959–60 State Champions Boys Golf (2)
- 1958–59 State Champions Boys Track and Field
- 1958–59 State Champions Boys Golf
The following are notable people associated with Benton High School. If the person was a Benton High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included:
- Lanny Fite (c. 1967)— Member of the Arkansas House of Representatives for Saline County and former county judge
- Cliff Lee (1997)—Major League Baseball pitcher; 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner.
- Richard Womack (1993)—Member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from District 18 in Clark, Dallas, Hot Spring, and Garland counties.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Benton High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- http://www.usnews.com/listings/high-schools/arkansas/benton_high_school U.S. News & World Report > Best High Schools
- "Best High Schools Report 2012". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 25 November 2012.