Benton Township, Paulding County, Ohio
|Benton Township, Paulding County, Ohio|
Wind farm southeast of Payne
Location of Benton Township in Paulding County
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.6 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||745 ft (227 m)|
|• Density||28.3/sq mi (10.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086767|
Benton Township is one of the twelve townships of Paulding County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,035 people in the township, 694 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county along the Indiana line, it borders the following townships:
- Harrison Township - north
- Paulding Township - northeast corner
- Blue Creek Township - east
- Union Township, Van Wert County - southeast corner
- Tully Township, Van Wert County - south
- Monroe Township, Allen County, Indiana - southwest
- Jackson Township, Allen County, Indiana - west
Part of the village of Payne is located in northern Benton Township along the border with Harrison Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Paulding County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.